Aaliyah Dana Haughton

by Vikki

Aaliyah Haughton was an extremely talented singer and actress. She was born on January 16, 1979 at Brooklyn, New York. She moved to Detroit, Michigan when she was 5 years old. Ever since she was a little girl, she had a dream to become a singer. Her parents knew because of the obvious hints. No matter what she was doing, she was always singing or humming some sort of tune or song. At the age of 5, she already had a superior voice, for that reason, she started going to competitions.

She went to a numerous amount of competitions, and lost to some. But still, she never gave up on her dream. Finally, Blackground Records, who produced her first album, “Age Aint Nothin But A Number”, discovered her. Throughout her career, she became better and better. Her music style was unique and her lyrics touched people. She was my hero because unlike other female singers today, she was “real”. Meaning, she didn’t need to pretend she was something else to be famous. She also never changed the way she looked. Aaliyah was always famous, even when she didn’t change her body figure just to look good for the camera. To a girl, looks are particularly important. However, Aaliyah had the natural beauty that she found was enough for her. I admire her greatly because she believed in herself, didn’t change her looks for nobody, and always stayed strong. She was the one who made me think I can accomplish my goals in life and that natural and inner beauty is more important then having the “perfect” body figure and make up to cover every inch of ones face. Even though she is gone, I still appreciate her work, and I’ll always remember that she was the one who taught me how to be a real lady.

Unkown. "VH1. "