The MY HERO Project | Library

Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, A Man Who Would Cure the World

By Tracy Kidder

Publisher: Random House Publishing Group, September 2003
ISBN: 0375506160
MY HERO recommends this book to adult readers.
FROM THE PUBLISHER
At the center of Mountains Beyond Mountains stands Paul Farmer. Doctor, Harvard Professor, renowned infectious-disease specialist, anthropologist, the recipient of a MacArthur "genius" grant, world-class Robin Hood, Farmer was brought up in a bus and on a boat, and in medical school found his life's calling: to diagnose and cure infectious diseases and to bring the lifesaving tools of modern medicine to those who need them most. This book shows how radical change can be fostered in situations that seem insurmountable, and it also shows how a meaningful life can be created, as Farmer - brilliant, charismatic, charming, both a leader in international health and a doctor who finds time to make house calls in Boston and the mountains of Haiti - blasts through convention to get results.
User Reviews:
Herbert Glickman | 1/24/2008 9:06 AM
This book is an incredible account of an incredible man who has dedicated his life to improve the health of those who are too poor to help themselves. Tracy Kidder travelled around the world with Dr. Farmer as he fought battles against tremendous odds.

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews