The MY HERO Project | Library

Stranger on the Earth: A Psychological Biography of Vincent Van Gogh

By Albert J. Lubin

Publisher: Da Capo Press, September 1996
ISBN: 0306807262
MY HERO recommends this book to adult readers.
From the Publisher
The personality of Vincent van Gogh (1853-1890) - a 9th-century combination of dropout, rebel, and genius - and the source of his enormous achievement continue to fascinate people as deeply as his vivid, wildly painted canvasses of sunflowers, peasants, and starry nights. In this first and only in-depth study of the relationship between van Gogh's psychological development and his art, Albert J. Lubin, Clinical Professor of Psychiatry (Emeritus) at Stanford University and a practicing psychoanalyst, draws on the tremendous wealth of information available about van Gogh to explore his personal conflicts in the context of the forces that molded him: familial, historical, cultural, religious, artistic, and literary. Dr. Lubin approaches van Gogh not as a mysterious mix of sick eccentric and martyred artist, but as a complete man who transformed his suffering into a phenomenal body of work. Lubin's daring psychological insights and art criticism create a compelling portrait that allows us to better understand, and more fully appreciate, van Gogh's artistic triumph over his inner torment.
Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews