Josephine Baker: Image and Icon

By Olivia Lahs-Gonzales, Tyler Stovall, Bennetta Jules Rosette

Publisher: Reedy Press, May 2006
ISBN: 9781933370026
MY HERO recommends this book to adult readers.
Synopsis
Born Freda Josephine McDonald in St. Louis, Missouri, in 1906, Josephine Baker ran away from home at age thirteen to join a traveling road show. Later, after touring the country as a dancer, she left the United States for Paris. There, she starred in the groundbreaking musical revue La Revue Negre and quickly became the toast of Paris and Europe. Her versatility and flair for performance complemented Paris in the 1920s-which embraced the Charleston and a progressive new musical language called jazz.

Created to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the celebrated African American entertainer, Josephine Baker: Image and Icon uses lavish illustrations and informative essays to tell the story of a legendary performer whose appeal transcended race, country, and culture. This rich, once-in-a-lifetime volume gathers photographs, posters, drawings, prints, and sculpture to tell the story of Baker's life and contributions to 20th century culture. An essay by Bennetta Jules-Rosette offers a biographical overview of the performer's career, and Olivia Lahs-Gonzales places Baker in context as Modern Woman.

Josephine Baker: Image and Icon, through words and rare images, captures the beauty of a groundbreaking artist and her significance. It also serves as the companion to the exhibit opening April 21, 2006, at The Sheldon Art Galleries in St. Louis.

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews