Whatever It Takes: Geoffrey Canada''s Quest to Change Harlem and America

By Paul Tough

Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Company, September 2008
ISBN: 9780618569892
MY HERO recommends this book to adult readers.
Synopsis
A page-turning dispatch from inside the most daring and potentially transformative social experiment of our time

Geoffrey Canada is a driven, brilliant crusader for children whose bold approach to inner-city poverty has been called by Barack Obama "an all-hands-on-deck anti-poverty effort that is literally saving a generation of children." Canada''s radical new idea: if you really want to change the lives of poor children, you have to change everything -- their schools, their families, their neighborhoods -- all at once.

Paul Tough gained exclusive, behind-the-scenes access to Geoffrey Canada as the Harlem Children''s Zone grew to become a $58-million-a- year organization, encompassing 97 city blocks and reaching more than 7,000 children. In Tough''s inspired portrait, sure to be as deeply influential as Tracy Kidder''s of Paul Farmer, Canada shares center stage with the parents and children of Harlem as they hopefully, anxiously enter a "conveyor belt" of integrated programs, from Baby College to Harlem Gems to Promise Academy.

There''s Victor Boria, nineteen, who enters Baby College on the verge of breaking up with his pregnant teenage girlfriend -- and then, nine weeks later, proposes to her onstage in front of a jubilant crowd. And there''s Wilma Jure, waiting and praying that her four-year-old niece, whose mother is homeless, will win a spot in Canada''s new kindergarten class. Finally, Tough vividly describes Canada''s passion for change and how it is playing out in real time -- as educators and policymakers from across the country keenly watch. Whatever It Takes is a tour de force of suspenseful and brilliantly informed reporting.

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews