Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story

By Ben Carson, Cecil Murphey

Publisher: Zondervan, December 1996
ISBN: 0310214696
MY HERO recommends this book to young adult readers.
FROM THE PUBLISHER
In 1987, Dr. Benjamin Carson gained worldwide recognition for his part in the first successful separation of Siamese twins joined at the back of the head. The extremely complex and delicate operation, five months in the planning and twenty-two hours in the execution, involved a surgical plan that Carson helped initiate. Carson pioneered again in a rare procedure known as hemispherectomy, giving children without hope a second chance at life through a daring operation in which he literally removed one half of their brain. But such breakthroughs aren't unusual for Ben Carson. He's been beating the odds since he was a child. Raised in inner-city Detroit by a mother with a third grade education, Ben lacked motivation. He had terrible grades. And a pathological temper threatened to put him in jail. But Sonya Carson convinced her son that he could make something of his life, even though everything around him said otherwise. Trust in God, a relentless belief in his own capabilities, and sheer determination catapulted Ben from failing grades to the top of his class — and beyond to a Yale scholarship . . . the University of Michigan Medical School . . . and finally, at age 33, the directorship of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland. Today, Dr. Ben Carson holds twenty honorary doctorates and is the possessor of a long string of honors and awards, including the Horatio Alger Award, induction into the "Great Blacks in Wax" Museum in Baltimore, Maryland, and an invitation as Keynote Speaker at the 1997 President's National Prayer Breakfast. Gifted Hands is the riveting story of one man's secret for success, tested against daunting odds and driven by an incredible mindset that dares to take risks. This inspiring autobiography takes you into the operating room to witness surgeries that made headlines around the world — and into the private mind of a compassionate, God-fearing physician who lives to help others. Through it all shines a humility, quick wit, and down-to-earth style that make this book one you won't easily forget.
User Reviews:
timileyin | 3/7/2016 3:32 AM
Wow! I really love this book it really inspired me.since I heard give your best from your book gifted hands and think big I have never stop giving my best ben I salute u
unknown | 2/28/2014 2:51 AM
Great book! If you have a young child who thinks he or she will be the next Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant or Tiger Woods, they should read this book. If the average child spent time in books like on the court or course, they would have knowledge power for a lifetime that the world could not take away. I think God gives all of us gifts. If God gives you a gift, no one can take it away.
Felix Owuor _Kenya | 1/11/2014 3:17 AM
I realy love your books because they inspire a lot.it has made me take a new look on how to achieve academic excellence.God bless you Carson.
davina gakere from kenya age ; 11 | 11/23/2013 4:29 AM
ben carson i am now doing very well in school the last time i wrote a comment i was in primary 5 and i was having a lot of trouble in school i had trouble reading in english and i was in the lowest group in maths my parents where very woried thats when i got one of your books think big and after that i started to wok a lot hrder now i have no problem with reading now and i am in the highest group in maths it is all thanks to your book it gave me hope to keep on trying.
Simply, Alisha | 8/2/2013 7:40 AM
I have just gotten done reading "Gifted Hands" by Ben Carson, M.D and realized that I love the book is extremely inspiring and it helped me to want to be the best person I can be and to stop giving up so much and put myself out there.
Davina Gakere from kenya age;nine | 5/13/2012 6:09 AM
Ben your books have inspired me a lot my dream is also to be a docter and be just like you I think God has helped you go far and I think he will help you go more further may god bless you.
Dr G Amos K | 12/2/2011 7:35 AM
Thumbs up! The books inspired me big time.  
Ibrahim kamal(08068926058) | 10/20/2011 5:42 AM
Hi, ben carson, i rilly like your books,because it makes one to feel ontop ever though you said "never".am a student, also willing to be a medical doctor "INSHA ALLAH". Will done ben, keep the flag flying! I like your style keep it up!
Hazvinei kasukuwere | 6/5/2011 10:22 PM
i really like this book and i would like to tell someone that you should not look down upon yourself.In whatever you do put God first and definitely you will make it because God is the controller of our life.Thank Ben for inspirational novel may God bless you.  
Julius Manwari-Kenya | 1/6/2011 8:23 PM
Ben,I humbly request God Almighty to shower you with His bountiful blessings for you have been more than a blessing to us more so me.Very inspiring via your books.Please let us revise them!
Frank Gitonga | 10/29/2010 11:01 PM
I read Gifted Hands, Think Big an the Big Picture. They are wonderful books. I recommend the books to anyone who wants to give to life their level best. Dr. Ben Carson is an inspiring role-model, not only professionally, but also spiritually. In a world that says "nice guys finish last", he has shown that someone can achieve success in worldly terms and still be first and foremost a Christian, a parent, humble and virtuous. Thanks to Dr. Carson, am on my way to becoming a medical doctor. Thanks Dr. Carson.
Ogeisia Jared | 5/19/2010 5:40 PM
Indeed it is a wonderful,wonderful book that I too recommend to all for motivational study.Myself I did read the book in Form two, and now in the university, in Kenya.
Nanteza deborah | 4/29/2010 11:18 PM
l just like Dr. Ben Carson he inspires me and l reguard him as my mentor. His mom is also so encouraging especially to young mothers like me. the book (think big)teaches mothers to always be positive toward their children's behaviour , to work hard and have faith. thanks
venonik | 4/24/2010 11:31 PM
he's really my hero.meeting him is one of my dream
MUNYWOKI STEPHEN MULI | 4/23/2010 11:21 PM
I read the book  GIFTED HANDS,i also would like to kindly request that parents,librarians in schools and academic institution to buy this book to help build our society and help capture the talents of their children,friends and students:To Ben Carson his dream and desire to improve people's lifes is the best and a good idea,this book his the greatest life saving for thousands and thousands of people
by defining the mean of (having  desire in life and living to your DESIRE )
Kesha | 4/17/2010 8:52 AM
Ben carson rocks. We had to choose a topic to write an essay on and I chose him. You rock!
vcddfd | 2/5/2010 6:55 AM
i admire him so much
adah efe | 8/2/2009 6:40 AM
DR CARSON IS ADMIRABLE TO ME BECAUSE HE IS PRATICING CHRISTAIN.HE DID NOT NEED TO BE BEHIND THE PULPIT TO PREACH JESUS BUT HIS LIFE HAS REFLECTED THAT.HIS MOTHER IS A WOMAN OF SUBSTANCE.
CHUCHU OJEKWE | 5/9/2009 6:20 AM
God"s hand is on you.god loves you dir and he can never let you down ma sister,wants to be a nuro-suergon like you.God has used you to touch many and help many.I also heard of how you seprated two humans from a joint todifrent.You know that docctors like dr.rey, dr diamond cannot do all this.you are really god sent.And a hero man!!woah.
ralu | 5/9/2009 6:04 AM
i love you for writting such a touching book.
you are my hero!!
BECKY MASH (NAIROBI,KENYA) | 4/14/2009 9:59 PM
God works in mysterious ways ,His wonders to prform.He used Dr.Carson as an inspiration to me and for that,His Name be glorified.May God continue to bless you Dr.Carson.
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!
Enly Kaipas | 3/20/2009 8:39 PM
Hey!it a much that god used you to come up with that idea to convert and heal many people in the nation.
I used to read book when i was only 8.it made me very sense to know what god chose some people to play such rol to in human life to trust creator as our life.
Rachel Keya | 2/7/2009 2:37 PM
This is an inspiring book.  It is a leading example for my daughtrer Sabdra who has always wanted to be a peditrician.    My daughter loves babies and she is headed in the same direction like Ben Carson.  She aspires to  work with children.  She loves children.  I lve this book.  I shed tears whenever I read it.  I ordered it for my daughter.

God bless Dr. Ben Carson.

Rachel - Kenya
Kgomotso Agvik Marigane | 12/28/2008 2:38 AM
DR Ben Carson your book is one of the best motivational books i have ever seen.now i also believe that with determination, confidence everthing is possible in life...now i can see that HARD TIME NEVER KILLS.Without this book i don't think i was gona make.THANK YOU
marina | 12/14/2008 11:20 AM
This is such a great book. I'm 13 and reading this book really makes you see what kind of person Ben Carson is.  I had many mixed feelings, I was sad and happy at certain parts.  It's so inspirational and heartwarming.  I encourage you to read this book, It's incredible.
Daniel ncube(Zimbabwe) | 11/27/2008 4:02 AM
Ben has always inspired me and i thank him for the great work.
Sibongile Njolomole (Blantyre Malawi) | 10/31/2008 4:01 AM
A agreat book  i read Gifted hands when iwas 17 years old. i learnt from the book that we should put God first in everything and we should also think big
sammi | 10/16/2008 9:46 AM
this book is the best book i have ever read! i am 11, and read the book last year. i still do remember details. if you havent read this book yet, go buy it NOW!
oyejide adewole(ogbomoso,Nigeria) | 10/3/2008 6:45 AM
Having a dream is one step,but taking responsibility to realize it is great.I have learnt that we can take charge of our lives. Dr ben's book is very inspiring. But are you ready to turn a newleaf, for there are hearers and doers. Take a bold step and pick up that book and start reading today,remember: with great power comes great Desire+passion+action+responsibility=greatness  
Daniel Chege (Nairobi Kenya) | 8/10/2008 8:01 PM
Ben Carson is my celebrated Hero. I was teary all through as I read & internalised the contents of every page. What made me cry most was the expressed emotions of joy and unspeakable gratitude that continue to be poured by many spouses, friends, parents and relatives of Dr. Carsons patients. Dr. Carsons life is real proof of what you can achieve through God. You are deginitely my Hero.  
nkem cordis | 7/22/2008 8:02 PM
i love ben carson story , he is my mentor , i realy want to be in his fan club please .thanks
Umeh Oluchi (Lagos Nigeria) | 7/15/2008 2:16 AM
Gifted Hands is a wonderful book which has made many positive impacts in my life. Although I read the book when I was only 10, it made very much sense to me. Now I am twelve, I know that with God and determination, I can achieve whatever I want to achieve. I hope to have my university education in Yale.
Keri Hodgge | 7/11/2008 7:19 AM
The book Think Big is my favorite book out of the many books I have read.Ben Carson made it through so many trials in his life.Dr.Ben Carson has inspired me to read alot more and always to hold my head high. His mother also inspired me by telling Ben that he woukd be the best at whatever he did. He actually became one of the best surgeons in the world. I think that is amazing!!!!:)
RACHEL | 6/19/2008 10:47 AM
This book has to be read by all the people
Dingayo Mzyece | 6/11/2008 5:15 PM
Great book indeed..its fulfilling as you read and the content is awesome!

It's one book you can get to read over and over again!

Thumbs up Ben!

Dingayo Mzyece-Zambia.
Teresa Cherono Too | 5/14/2008 8:27 PM
Bravo Ben Carson I read your book when I was having difficulty with studying and poor performance.I felt so useless and a nobody I'm now a nurse after going through so much to be where I am today.God bless you.I look forward to meeting you in person some day.  
DUMISANI GUMEDE | 4/19/2008 10:33 PM
DR CARSON I'M VERY INSPIRED BY YOU AS A PERSON, YOUR BACKGROUND AND WHAT U HAVE DONE FOR PEOPLE.CURRENTLY I'M DOING MY 3RD YEAR IN MEDICAL SCHOOL SOUTH AFRICA, LOOKING BACK, WHAT I WENT THROUGH BEFORE I REACH THIS LEVEL, IT RESLLY HARD TO BELIEVE BUT IT ALL THANK TO YOU, MY MENTOR I THANK YOU
UMEH AKUDO (LAGOS, NIGERIA) | 4/14/2008 4:14 AM
This book has made me realize that i am just like a pencil in the hands of God. If i want to succeed in life, i must allow myself to be held and controlled by God just as the pencil can do many things only if it allows itself to be held in someone's hands. I must experience challenges just as the pencil will experience a painful sharpening to be a better pencil. I must correct my mistakes and learn from them just as the pencil has the ability of correcting its mistakes. I must try to leave a positive mark of myself wherever i go just as the pencil leaves a mark on any surface it is used on regardless of its condition. Above all, similar to the pencil whose most important part is inside, I MUST REMEMBER THAT IT DOES NOT ALWAYS MATTER WHAT PEOPLE THINK OF ME, THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS WHO I AM ON THE INSIDE. Thanks Ben, YOU ARE MY HERO.
UMEH AKUDO | 4/14/2008 3:33 AM
This book has made me realize that i can be anything i want to be no matter what people say or do in as much as i am determined and i pray to God, my limitless dreams will come true.
KAHARA JOEL | 4/7/2008 10:43 PM
surely this book have inspired me especially when taking in studies in pwani university college in kenya
Toynesha Gartley | 2/20/2008 10:16 AM
Dr. Carson,

If you ever read this message, I would like to tell you that you are such an inspiration to everyone. All three of your books encourages me to follow my dreams. I thank God for people like you. YOU ARE TRULY A BLESSING!!!
Priscilla Tembo ,Zambia 03/01/2008 | 1/2/2008 6:12 PM
Am really inspired by content of gifted hand how i wish i came across this kind of literature when was still junior secondary school, but its never too late, i will cultivate reading and make sure one day i will give testmony after being motivated and inspired.This book is really a great book it has inspired me and made me believe you can be anything you want if you only believe you can. CARSON YOU ARE A BLESSING
Natasha | 9/22/2007 7:05 PM
The book touches my heart, ma soul and ma mind.i definately feel that in God we trust we can be who ever we wanna be, Its a matter of motivation and determination.God bless Ben.
Tochukwu Ozor Christian | 7/6/2007 8:25 PM
hello ben i want to start by saying that you are a God send to our generation.as a matter of fact you are my mentor, you are sombody i really look up to and inspire to be like, your book is really a mind changing one thanks for imparting so much in me from your book.
          IAM From Lagos Nigeria
Princessjo | 5/9/2007 12:32 PM
This book made me realize the kind of person that i am inside...a person that can suceed in life and can achieve anything if i put my best into it. My brother died of a brain tumor and my cousin is suffering from down syndrome. I want to be THE HERO that you are. I want to become a neurosurgeon because it is a job that nobody can do. Your book inspired me to become my best and do my best and think I'm the best. That no matter what, i can do it! thank you for inspiring me!!
corey | 5/9/2007 10:24 AM
YO THIS BOOK IS GREAT
BM | 4/24/2007 2:24 PM
the ben carson story reallly inspired me it changed my life it made me get closer to god so i recommend it its totally amazing
were | 3/28/2007 1:04 PM
good book!
RAMMETTA JENKINS | 3/28/2007 1:01 PM
I have the book it is really interesting and I want to lern more about him.
| 3/27/2007 6:31 PM
Kemmy Christine U.N.O
Carson's works are a great inspiration.They make me believe that anybody can achieve his goals and so I can with determination.Just as Ben's glowing faith that kept his hope we wonna look back someday and say we too made it,this will come through nothing but prayer, hardwork and determination.
Chioma bevelie okoro | 3/13/2007 1:24 PM
immediatly i set my eyes on Gifted hands,i know it was what ineeded.it simply have CHANGED MY LIFE.i lost my hearing and completly lost every hope for living,but after readingGIFTED HANDS,i know God has plans for me.currently,am studying pharmacy in one of most prestigeous universities in Nigeria.Ben,you are my ANGEL,THANK YOU.
Daniel Borota | 2/20/2007 7:05 AM
A hero we can all learn and associated with.
Elijah Castro | 2/11/2007 8:06 AM
He is a great man with speacial healing powers evreyone should know about him.
Tahsina | 1/14/2007 3:45 AM
I am 12 years old and i read the book gifted hands. it is so inspiring. i absolutely love this book. his life is a miracle.i recommend this book to everyone.
| 12/17/2006 1:47 AM
yo this is the greatest book ever
Lauren | 12/6/2006 5:43 AM
I am trying to become an pediatrician and I read your inspirational book and it was just in my mind every time I did a Black history report. A report on you is really interesting to do.
Dr. Bill Brown | 11/23/2006 10:13 AM
Greetings from Xiamen (former Amoy) China.
   My family and I have been in China since 1988, and my sons have grown up here.  We learned a lot over the years, but one of the biggest lessons was the importance of attitude.  We were very blessed by Dr. Carson's "Gifted Hands," and got the video as well, and now have is book "The Big Picture," which is so good that we've bought many copies to share with other children here in China.  I hope that someday we can get his books in Chinese!
   Thank you, Dr. Carson, for your example.  And a big thank you to Dr. Carson's mother for her inspired example to her own son and to countless others.
   Dr. Bill Brown  Xiamen China

rachel | 10/27/2006 10:35 AM
I have always been inspiered by Ben Carson.  I always wanted to become a doctor since when i was young, but my parents could not afford the fees to pay for my education.  So i chose to pursue a social work degree which was cheaper.Today i am a student pursuing a masters in counseling in agencies. The book seeing the big picture was what helped me hang on after i realized my dream of being a doctor someday was not to come true when i enrolled for social work.I got motivated to stay in stayed in school. I realized i could still help others in this profession. God bless you doctor carson for being faithful to your gifting, and for being a good son to your mother.
kizza margaret(uganda) | 10/25/2006 10:04 AM
Gifted hands has helped me regain my self confidence and to know that whatever any one says i can make it.i ´ve also been inspired to set goals and work for them.to descover my hidden talents and to use them to help others.I thank God for Dr. Ben Carson and ask Him to keep blessing him.The book is really great!
Mark Levy | 9/24/2006 8:47 AM
This book was great . Although it was school work this book inspired me. You should definatly read this book.
Rute Pina | 9/23/2006 2:09 AM
Que Deus te abencoe Ben!!Obrigado pelo exemplo de pessoa que es!Que Deus possa ajudar-me a ser um exemplo como tu.Irei tentar ser como tu.
Basma Metwally (Egypt) | 9/21/2006 2:31 AM
this book is so tremendous. It's also very inspiring. Even though he goes through so many problems yet becomes one of the most famous neurosurgeons in the world.
WILLIAM MWANZA MUTUKU J.K.U.A.T ,KENYA | 7/26/2006 12:54 AM
I thank God for what He moulded in Ben Carson's heart. He is my role model and I admire his kindness,encouragement,self-drive and above all, his strong will to always aim high without ever looking back for the benefit of mankind.I particurlaly admire his will to help the needy and less-fortunate in this world.He's also my mentor in academic work.MAY THE ALMIGHTY GOD BLESS YOU ABUDANTLY.
Habib Adeyemi (kaduna Nigeria) 08036790075 | 7/15/2006 12:36 PM
The gifted hand inspires us to thing big, for us to see the big picture of what`s really important life. Thank u for changing my way of thinking. WE ARE NOT POOR BUT BROKE.  
Mary | 7/7/2006 9:23 AM
Inspiring is this story of this wonderful doctor. After reading half the book, I was so encouraged, the darkness I was going through seem mighty small. God does promise to be with us and answer our prayers. He moved in a tremendous way for Ben Carson and He can do it for me and everyone who calls upon Him. We must never forget that!
Thank You Dr. Carson for sharing your story. I have purchased "Gifted Hands" for my grandson, who at 15 years of age is also brilliant, yet going through some tough times. Again, thank you!
TATIANA PITCHFORD | 6/14/2006 11:34 AM
My best friend Danielle Hightower, my x-boyfriend, and my best friend's boyfriend read the Ben Carson book after I told them how much it inspired me and how it's a train that just keeps on inspiring more and more people everyday. Come to find out, it inspired them too!!!This book also helped most of us figure out what we want to be in life.      
                        Thank You Ben Carson
Tatiana Pitchford | 6/11/2006 1:05 PM
That book was the most interesting book i've ever read.My friend Kevin told me how much Carson inspired him, so I read the book and now he's my HERO to!!!!!!!!
danielle | 5/25/2006 10:25 AM
well im a 8th grader & this year we had 2 read dis book!! im like dis book gon be crappy & then i read it & it turned out 2 b the best book eva!!!!!!!!!! i love dis book!!! thanx ben u made me think! BIG!!!!!!!
deva | 5/9/2006 11:01 PM
Hello, I love Dr. Ben Carson, he is the force that helps me wake up in the morning to study on days I feel so tired. I love Dr. Ben Carson, I pray that I can see him in Person one day.
great agosu(nigeria) | 5/1/2006 2:09 PM
this book has transformed me made my perspective to change about life and winning.almost everyone i talk to i tell them about ben carson.infact in my school friends call me ben carson and i like it because he is one of my mentors.
Lena Mathews | 4/23/2006 10:19 AM
This book really inspired me. Ben Carson is a great man and also because of him I feel like I can do better in my life.
Jessica Kirkwood | 4/17/2006 12:45 AM
I have enjoyed reading every piece of material that I could find on Dr. Carson and would be overjoyed to get the opportunity to briefly speak with him.
kadri olawale.NIGERIA | 4/7/2006 11:41 AM
In every field in life there must be a leader, indeed God as given BEN. the key to surgery.NIGERIA
Ben Semper (Largo High School) | 4/2/2006 9:21 AM
Hello Ben Carson, my name is ben also but my last name is semper. Your book is almost like the big picture but it talks alot about your childhood and it offers hope and inspiration to children all over.In your book it tells that you happened to be called the dumbest kid in fifth grade. I used to be called the dumbest kid in fifth grade also when I was ten even in sixth grade, because I wasn't that good in math. When I read one of books the big picture was first, it had me thinking about what I can accomplish in life, but when I read Gifted Hands it was like a mural of life being read in a whole other way.            
Ibrahim Sei | 4/1/2006 5:11 AM
It was a really good book and I recommend it to anyone It made me realize that studying helps you.
tony miles | 3/30/2006 2:05 AM
i like the book
Chidi omerennah(largo high school) | 3/26/2006 8:52 PM
In this book i learned that with determination, hardwork and God you can be anything you want to be. It shows never to give, even when the road gets rough. Ben Carson is definitely a role model, in fact he is one of my role models in succeeding in what i want to be in the future. So for others who haven't read this book i encourage that you do so, It  can help you come up from a low position or just uplift your spirit in succeeding.
Joshua Akintonde/Mrs. L | 3/26/2006 10:21 AM
Ben carson's story is very touching i was able to finish it before. I learned about many things and hope to be like ben carson one day but a computer engineer. His book was able to boost my confidence so i wont care about what people say. In conclusion i hope people can follow in the same steps Dr. Ben Carson did.
Ricardo Biddy (Largo S.H.S.) | 3/24/2006 7:41 AM
This story really shows how you can change your life around and do the right thing. It was very inspriational to me and I also enjoyed the book.
Darius Daniels | 3/24/2006 4:29 AM
Gifted Hands was a very uplifting novel. I was truly inspired by all of this mans accomplishments.
Diamond Davis | 3/24/2006 4:28 AM
Gifted Hands was an excellent novel about Dr. Benjamin Carson's life. This story was very inspirational and uplifting. To know that someone can acheive so much when all odds were against him is very inspirational to know. This lets me know that nothing is out of reach; you just have to work extra hard to acheive it.
Opeyemi Eboda (Mrs. Legerwood) | 3/24/2006 3:15 AM
The book was vey inspirational, i really learned alot from it.
Alecia Harrison | 3/24/2006 3:13 AM
The book Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson story is absolutely brilliant. This book shows how a child from a broken home, the slums of the ghettoes, and difficulties with a Mother can still be something. This man was very violent, but he saw what could have happened and realized that he had been given another chance at life, he wasn't going to take it for granted. This book gives hope to those who are hopeless, and shows us ANYONE can make something of their lives if they try and keep the faith.
Marcus Allen (Largo High School) | 3/24/2006 3:07 AM
The Ben Carson Story was an awesome inspiring biography- which documented Carson's journey from monotony to magnificece; from the ghettos to grandure. Carson's biography is inspiring and proves, that with hard work and faith, you can achieve anything. In conclusion, Carson's life reinforced the idea - Think Big. I would recomend this book anyday.
Tyler From: Largo High School Mrs.Legerwood | 3/24/2006 2:29 AM
The ben carson Gifted Hands book was a little different than i expected. I thought that Ben was going to be a trouble maker which wasn't the case, he just had problems just like anyone else. The book was very motivational.
Avery Younger | 3/23/2006 8:36 PM
The Ben Carson story was very inspirational to me. It shows how working hard in school and getting a good education can get you anywhere. This book was very exciting, I couldn't stop reading it.The story also made me think about what I want to be when I grow up. At the time my dreams were all about basketball, now I know I have to have something to fall back on.
Brian Fletcher(Largo H.S.) | 3/23/2006 7:41 AM
When I was reading the book, I had thought about the things Ben Carson went though was similiar to me. He had made bad grades in school and so did I, but he changed his life from a unsuccessful person to a successful person. So did I. This is why the book is really a inspiring book and I would recommend young adults to read it because it just might change your life.
D'Angelo Vaughan | 3/23/2006 6:22 AM
this is a good book and I recommend it for people who like to read
Yvette Ray (Largo High) | 3/23/2006 6:10 AM
the ben carson book was an inspriation because he had a rough chilhood, but he was able to grow up and follow his dreams.when ben was young he wasn't so bright,but a few years later he grew up and became a well-known doctor that eveyone loves. as of today he's know for his accomphlishments. and i learn that you can be anyhing you want to be,if you have confidence in yourself.
andy | 3/21/2006 10:41 PM
hi i will tellu about ben carson life i can belivied that he was the dombest kid in the fifth grade.they was make jokes about him.he had fight alot.then his mother tell them they the wishdom ,which was the limit him to only see to program per a week and read to book per a week to an  write two book about them.so when it was school the teacher asked them a question and no student answer but ben answer and he said it was obsidian.and then he become the smart kid in class.
Deborah Thompson(Largo High School) | 3/21/2006 10:56 AM
Gifted Hands is an inspiring story and I would advise all ages to read this interesting book. This book talks about struggles that Ben Carson has gone through when he was younger just to be where he is today. Ben Carson has shown so many people that if bad things are happening all around you then don't give up keep holding on and positive things will happen to you. I really recommend people who need inspiration and motivation to read this book, it will change your life for the better.
Paris Rowser | 3/20/2006 7:54 AM
My name is Paris Rowser and I read The Ben Carson Story, called "Gifted Hands" and this story has impacted my life. I would say that I'm more ambious after I read the book by knowing that Ben Carson had a very timid backround and I did to so by knowing that  I want to become a nurse one day. So when I  get out of school and go to college I will remember that if Ben Carson can do it by not letting people put him down and in my mind  I will remember the obstacles he went though and I went throgh to get where i'm at today.  Thank you Ben Carson because alot of young girls look up to you. Paris
Delonte Hawkins (Largo Highschool) | 3/20/2006 5:41 AM
The book was really inspiring, it kind of changed my life because i learned that if you keep studying hard you will be anything you want to be.
zindzi payne (largo high school) | 3/19/2006 10:57 AM
the ben carson story was different from what i had expected. i thought it was going to be boring, but reading about what he went through as a teen is life changing. im not saying it changed my life but it is a very good book, i would recommend this book for young adults (teens), and adults who need inspiration. :)
Eboni Phillips (Mrs.Legerwood/Largo High School) | 3/19/2006 6:33 AM
Gifted hands:The Ben Carson Story is a very uplifting novel.  Ben Carson gives you hope that you can conquer any obstacle as long as you keep your eyes on the prize.  Reading this book will give you the motivation to take what people say about you and turn it into something positive.  Also when you have loved ones in your life to take care of you, you  can achieve the unbelieveable.
Troya Briscoe | 3/18/2006 5:24 AM
I recommend this book for everybody to read. To understand that theres more to life then just hanging out with friends, to let kids understand the importance of a high level education.Ben Carson is my hero because he helped me to understand that life is what u make it, you can do anything in the world if you just believe and put your heart into it !! After reading this book I've been inspired to do the best I can do and nothing below my standards which I will now set for myself!
Melody Melo | 3/17/2006 8:16 AM
This book is great it is true God our lord has provided him with all his needs and look at him know.
shane alex frederick(largo H.S) | 3/14/2006 9:49 PM
The book was every inspiring to me because of all the things that you went through to become the man you are today.
Nana Bamfo (Largo H.S.) | 3/14/2006 12:27 PM
The ben carson story is very inspiring in many ways due to the realism of the story and its effect it has on people. "Ben carson you let it do what it do,Yeah.
Rashaad Fitzhugh | 3/2/2006 5:21 AM
I think Ben Carson is awesome! I just recently got nominated for his scholarship. I have read the book Think Big. He has made me realize that you can do anything, because after what he's gone through it would be very seldom that someone would think he could make it this far! BEN CARSON IS MY HERO!!!!!!!!!!
patsy | 2/8/2006 4:17 AM
i've read this book when i was ten years old and now that i'm fourteen i decided to read back the book and i nowhavea better understanding of this mans life and history in his career field. He has inspired my life and i know he has done the same to many others kids my age. his books are the best.
Random | 2/8/2006 2:15 AM
That book waz tight! He my hero. B-more
Sabine | 1/30/2006 8:42 AM
You really are such a good inspiriation to me. You made me cry.
Nakesha | 1/28/2006 8:32 AM
The book "Gifted Hands" has really inspired me to want to be a nurse/doctor.It has also made me want to appreciateand be thankful for everything I have and will get. I have even made the decision to do my class work and homework. I have realized that it pays off to follow directions and be more attentive.Thank you for writing this very great book.
CLAUDIA CHARLES (British Virgin Islands) | 1/23/2006 8:04 AM
"Gifted hands" has really inspired me to realize that nothing is impossible if you are determined and put your trust in God.Ben Carson came from humble beginnings to become one of the best, if not the "best" neurosurgeon in the world.I am going to read Gifted hands a second time together with my 12 year old son, by the time he gets through reading this book he will be a very different and motivated young man.May God bless and keep you BEN CARSON.
obinna kevin unachks(NIGERIA) | 1/3/2006 3:34 AM
this book is a really great book it has inspired me and made me believe you can be anything you want if only you believe you can.

Sherese Young (Victorville,California) | 12/30/2005 4:39 PM
Ben I am really impressed with the book Gifted Hands. With the love, determination and strength of your mother you were able to facilitate your dream of becoming a doctor. Your mother has indeed produced a product which has manufactured into a brillant, neurosurgeon who has educated, prayed, and given many families the opportunity to face another day with tears of joy.
Rehtaeh | 12/12/2005 11:15 PM
I really like this book. Its good that he had a strong mother but it is sad that his parents divorced when he was only 8.
Sebastiana Dekany (Romania) | 11/22/2005 7:34 PM
Words are poor to express how much this book meant to me. I felt so hopeless when I started reading it and Ben made me change my attitude towards life and God. Only after reading it did I realize the importance of sacrifice in life. May God bless the entire Carson family.
Andrew Gray solo | 11/20/2005 5:16 AM
Dr. Ben Carson is a  great role model. Thanks  Dr. Carson for the lives that you have saved. I like this book "think big" because it is an inspiration to me. Looking forward to reading more of Ben Carson's books.
Lionel Fologwata Ata (Solomon Islands) | 11/18/2005 12:09 PM
I am really inspired by the contents of "Gifted hands".Doctor Ben Carson is my hero.i don't know how many times i have read the book.i'm still reading it.It has helped me do well in my education.I recommend the book to be read by just about anyone who wants to succeed in anything at all in life.
Marcus J Adams | 11/17/2005 10:43 PM
I admire Dr. Carson because after reading his book it inspired me to do better in school and to believe in myself. I also got to meet him at home in South Bend IN.
Gabby | 10/23/2005 4:33 AM
I read the book and thought it was fantastic! I am 14 years old and I hope to be like him someday! I found the hardcover version of this book on an old bookshelf and read it for a biography report. I fell in love with it imediately and now it is my favorite book. I recomend it to all my friends!
joel punay | 10/7/2005 4:01 PM
I thank the Lord for using you to be an inspiration to me.  I read your books and truly i believe with all my heart that God uses you to become a blessings and will help change and touch other people's lives.  You are a God-sent angel to me.
Colby Sanders | 10/5/2005 4:35 AM
I admire Ben Carson so much. His story inspires me to continue to go forward. Currently I am getting ready to give a speech on his life. I hope to meet him one day. All of his books are wonderful.
Don King | 9/21/2005 9:24 AM
This book is cool. Ben Carson is cool. Like, its cool but its also awsome cuz he likes, saves people. Like, I read the first page and it totally changed my life forever.
victor isibor lagos Nigeria | 9/19/2005 9:45 PM
Ben carson's story is very touching.unfortunately i was unable to finish it before it was returned.I hope to do so soon.Ben carson ,thanks for being such a motivation
Aubrie Hickman | 9/13/2005 11:13 AM
you read this book you become a changed man!
A Truley Inspired Teenager | 8/24/2005 8:09 AM
I absolutely adored this book. It was a heart warming story from beginning to end. It is true Ben Carson's life is a miracle. God has put him in  this world to do great things. He works miracles everyday within the life of young children. I am going to be a freshmen in high school, and for the first marking period grade I was told to read Gifted Hands. I fell in love with this book immediately. Ben Carson and his mother Sonya has encouraged me to do the best I can in life and to never give up. God has a plan for all of us and now I am sure and confident that he will have a great plan for me. Thank You Ben, for inspiring me to never give up hope.
Schwab Bakombo, Toronto, Canada | 7/12/2005 11:19 PM
As a Husband, father and a student pursing medical endeavour, I must say that Dr. BEn Carson is my mentor. I love the man and pray to meet him some day. The book gfted hands tought me how stay focused, trust God and fulfil my God given destiny which is becoming a medical doctor. May God bless Dr. Ben Carson with long life.
Taryn | 7/3/2005 11:48 AM
Ben Carsons book "Gifted Hands" was a GREAT book! Dr. Ben Carson helped save my brothers life...Quinn. and yes i did get to met Dr Carson. I am now in the process of reading "Think Big" by Dr. Carson as well. If you have not read this book you should!
sylverstarz, Liverpool, UK | 7/1/2005 10:29 PM
Gifted hands by Ben Carson,MD is one of the many books I read each time I am less busy. I have read it up to ten times now, and I will not hesitate in reading it even a dozen times. EVERY LIVING SOUL ON PLANET EARTH MUST READ GIFTED HANDS. May God bless Dr. Ben Carson a million times. Amen!
Babila Elvis | 6/23/2005 3:30 AM
You are my hero! From you book Gifted Hands. Your book gives inspiration to all. When Iread this book, I saw Icould be anything regardless of my family background. Presently I am at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University from a very poor Cameroonian background but I believe one day my dreams will come through like yours.
sara dengai anyango. | 4/21/2005 12:29 AM
Ben Carson is one of my greatest HEROES. He inspired me to where lam now, GIFTED HANDS is one the inspirational books. l love it and l hope it will inspire me up to end of my medical career and l will one day by GOD`S Grace do likewise. l encourage everyone to read his books.
Shelly ann Franklyn | 3/31/2005 1:01 AM
the book gifted hands is very inspiring.  ben carson's life is a miracle, and God uses him to work miracles within the life of young children whom other doctors have given up on. currently i am a medical transcriptionist, and if God use ben carson to reach that far, following my heart i know God can use me to do the same also.  
gwen goodman | 3/27/2005 6:09 PM
i have read the book finaly as i have been looking for the book for quite a long time now. i have heard that many people have read this book and also have loved it the way i adore this book. Ben Carson is a brilliant writer or experiencer should i say.
AJIBADE AKESODE NIGERIA ABUJA. | 3/20/2005 6:16 PM
ONE STONE IS ENOUGH TO BREAK A GLASS..... ONE SENTENCE IS ENOUGH TO BREAK A HEART....... ONE SECOND IS ENOUGH TO FALL IN LOVE ... AND .... ONE BOOK  IS ENOUGH TO CHANGE A  LIFE GIFTHED HAND HAS CHANGE A LOT OF LIFES
THANK YOU DR BEN CARSON.
I PRAY TO MEET IN PERSON ONE  DAY.

Diana Salazar | 2/28/2005 7:14 AM
I am doing an essay for a field trip on ben carson and in order for me to go see dr.carson at John Hopkins Hospital i have to write a page about him. by reading his book gifted hands i think that Dr.carson is a doctor who turns seemingly impossible hopes into joyous reality. He is very an inspiring person. And i thank him for all that he has done.
shanika christian | 2/24/2005 11:57 PM
i am doing a black history project in the caribbean.  i chose dr.ben carson cause he was an inspiration to my little brother.  i think that everyone in the world, in school should read this book as a project.  this can change the negative minds today.  this book can change the world.  
kenan cain | 2/24/2005 1:04 AM
the book gifted hand is a very inspiring book, it is also very motivational.  I like the way God used Ben Carson, as we listen to how God used him to do medical miracles on young children whom other doctors have given up on.  As I read the book, I realised that in order to be successful one got to belive in themself and also follow their heart, and most of all not to loose focus of God.  what I also like is that Ben Carson did not glorify himself, in everything he did, the name of jesus was glorified, and one could actually look at him and see sincerity in his heart.
The learner who is learning | 2/20/2005 1:06 AM
i have to do a speech on ben carson and find him as a special man with the guts to fight
he taught me that if u are dumb there is still time to change
Whitney Shinkle | 2/18/2005 12:33 AM
I have read the book Gifted Hands and it really inspired me. It made me happy to read about the life saving operations that Ben Carson had done. I read that he had become a radiologist technician, and that is what I am studying to be when I graduate from high school. I want to thank Ben for all the lives he has saved, even though I was not one of them.
caxaviercoleman | 2/13/2005 10:47 AM
i'am doning a paper on ben carson at faith family ,after all i have read ben carson is great
DAVID EHIEDU | 1/21/2005 7:37 PM
I am really a fan of Dr. Ben Carson. I was inspired by his book GIFTED HANDS and since have been able to get what it is that I want to be in the future. I am aiming at the top like him too. Our stories are so similar and I hope that some day I will be able to get that target I've set for myself.
Angela | 12/20/2004 6:32 AM
I am an adult who has to do a research paper for my class. I am still reading "Gifted Hands".  I was very impressed with the story of the Binder kids and how Dr. Carson and his team prepared and worked untiringly to separate the Binder kids joined at the back of their heads. He gave hope to both the kids and the parents and I am sure to any others who might some day face this type of situation.   Hats off to Dr. Carson. Continue to keep God at the head of your life and you will continue to be successful.
janeth (tanzania) | 12/6/2004 5:20 PM
when i read the book i asked so many questions about myself. Ben Carson made me know what life is and what steps you should take, if you want your life to be good and to be proud of your work. at first i was just like other teenagers who thought about music 24 hours but thanks to Dr. Carson he made my life change for good and he has made me close to god. thanks.
Tara Brown | 11/16/2004 7:14 AM
I started reading this book as a class book report. My teacher coach Mark James, a teacher at Dillard High School, told the class there was this great book by Dr. Ben Carson that we needed to go out and purchase. Even though I didn't find the book at first I kept looking because at the library near home it was already taken out. I  went to another library and checked the book out and didnt want to take it back when it was due so I ended up paying a late fee and re-checking the book out. I have read this book and it is wonderful. And I love what he's doing.
Tunde Brown | 11/3/2004 3:13 AM
i've been on "gifted hands" for two days now. Dr. Ben Carson is simply an example to those kids who think their background is a limitation to what their God-given potential can do for them. His is also a story that shows one of the many patterns of "training paths" God takes the individual who can yield to Him, in the journey to predestined greatness. from his story, i have learned so far that those things we find we're doing that run contrary to our desire at times are not to be worried about if we have a goal in mind and most importantly, have committed it to God.          
Sue | 10/31/2004 3:27 AM
I read "Gifted Hands" in a time when I was undecisive about my future life. I had lost all my perspective, motivation, and joy in going to school and learning new things. I felt worthless and dumb because I messed up a lot of exams due to the lack of motivation and ambition. I had never heard of Dr.Carson before, and I thought, "Great, another fine man who tells about how much God can use only superbrains in this world!" All the more I was suprised to read Dr.Carson's biography which was totally opposite of what I had expected. I started to believe in myself again because I learned that becoming a success in this world isn't due to mere smartness, but a result of the willingness to be changed by God plus hard work and sometimes even taking on pains. I learned to apply the "Think Big" principle in my personal life, and it has tremendously changed my way of living and thinking. I'll be studying psychology soon, and I know it wouldn't have been possible without the guidelines which Dr.Carson has presented me in "Gifted Hands"!
adewole oyejide | 10/13/2004 10:12 PM
Dr ben carson is a man that makes me realise the difference between a genius and a gifted person. one has to think big, and to remain focused to achieve one's dream. his book really inspired me. HE IS MY MENTOR.
jeff zeigler | 10/3/2004 7:40 AM
i just want to say thanks because i needed to do a book report and this helped me out so much so thanks.
Juan Pablo Sandi Carreón ( Sucre - Bolivia) | 9/27/2004 10:34 PM

HOLA AMIGOS ES GRATO CONOCER QUE UN HERMANO EN CRISTO COMO LO ES EL DR. BEN CARSON SE HAYA SUPERADO, MI NOMBRE ES JUAN PABLO Y SOY MIENBRO ACTIVO A LA MISMA IGLESIA QUE ASISTE EL DR. LA IGLESIA ADVENTISTA DEL SEPTIMO DIA, TENGO 21 AÑOS Y ME GUSTARIA MUCHO SEGUIR SUS PASOS, SOY ESTUDIANTE DE DERECHO EN MI ESTADO, Y ME GUSTARIA SUPERARME EN LA VIDA

LES RECOMIENDO MUCHO EL LIBRO,      
YANELY VAZQUEZ | 9/24/2004 5:35 AM
I WANT TO THANKS BEN CARSON FOR BEEN A GREAT ISPIRATION IN MY LIFE.HIS BOOK GIFTED HANDS BROUGHT IN MY LIFE MANY CHANGES LIKE BELIEVING IN GOD.I CAME FROM CUBA A POOR COUNTRY IN WHICH MANY PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS SICK.SINCE I WAS A LITTLE GIRL I DREAM TO BE A DOCTOR AND HELP PEOPLE.THIS BOOK TAUGHT ME A LESSON AND THAT IS (YOU CAN DO EVERYTHING YOU WANT IF YOU TRY HARD.I AM IN COLLEGE RIGHT NOW, AND THIS IS MY SECOND YEAR MY MAJOR IS PREMED.AND I WANT TO BE A NEUROSURGEON I NOW IS A LONG TRIP TO GO, BUT WITH THE HELP OF GOD AND THE ONE'S THAT LOVES ME I GOING TO WIN.THIS IS A CHALLENGE FOR ME .
alli-afoke tosin | 9/23/2004 6:24 AM
ben carson is one of the greatest people on the surface of the  earth. he made my believe so much in my self and my future.may God continue to bless him.may his children also follow in his foot steps. his book was the first book i ever bought with my own money aside from my text.now i have all his three books.when i have children and they get to the level where they can read.they have to read all dr ben carson's books.besides ,in my speech class my tribute speech was to dr ben carson.
Dorlande jessika charles | 9/7/2004 5:18 AM
I read this book my 9th year and it was out of this world. That's when I knew for sure what I wanted to become in life. The book was a wake up call for me. Life -- it's what you always wanted to be, you have to take one day at a time. I think every child that has a dream should read this. It is great.
Rachel Mobley | 9/1/2004 6:06 AM
This is such a good book. All of my friends want to borrow my copy of "Gifted Hands". I tell them it's a good book and they want to read it. I thought it was a excellent book before I started actually reading the book.  I thought it was the best book I've read even through the introduction. I love how Dr.Carson writes the things that have happened to him in the past and how he dealt with his father leaving when he was eight and how he coped with the loss of Jennifer, a eleven month old who died shortly after a hemisperectomy.I would totally recommened this book to people who like reading moderate autobiography novels. Autobiography lovers will adore this novel on the most famous,in my opinion, the best neurosurgeon in the world. Dr. Ben Carson, M.D.
John | 8/24/2004 10:03 PM
I really liked this book because it inspired me in things this year i can do to improve myself and look to God more. I also think Ben's mother contributed a lot to Ben and i think that meant a lot to him and it does to me. This book can be read from age 10 to any older age. You just have to think big and believe in yourself and you will have success.
Yvette Smith | 8/4/2004 9:25 AM
Excellent book, I plan to have all my fifth grade students read, "Gifted Hands". This book is an inspiration for all age groups. Dr. Carson shows how people can become successful if they just "THINK BIG".
emily adhiambo | 5/25/2004 10:11 PM
helo
i must say that i really find it interesting reading Ben Carson books and right now as i am, i have the "gifted hands" with me and i must say that it is so inspiring and somebody like me i really see the real picture because i live in sos where things as the way Ben Carson went through hard times and i feel as if thinking about it makes it lighter for me especially
i do not know whether there are some that i can read other than the big picture , gifted hands and think big.
linda brewster | 5/22/2004 3:12 PM
Great book! If you have a young child who thinks he or she will be the next Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant or Tiger Woods, they should read this book.  If the average child spent time in books like on the court or course, they would have knowledge power for a lifetime that the world could not take away.  I think God gives all of us gifts.  If God gives you a gift, no one can take it away.
edith | 3/25/2004 11:20 PM
I am reading this book and it's very good, because Ben Carson had the patience to get what he wanted. I would like to know more about  his books. I am reading Gifted Hands. I recommend this book to every young person who wants to become a success in life.
DESIREE | 2/10/2004 1:41 AM
I AM DOING A PROJECT ON BEN CARSON AND JUST BY READING ABOUT HIM I SEE HE IS A GREAT MAN. I WENT THROUGH ALOT OF THE SAME THINGS HE WENT THROUGH AND I ALSO WISH TO WORK WITH KIDS.

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews