Nellie McClung: The Complete Autobiography: A Clearing in the West and The Stream Runs Fast

By Veronica Strong-Boag (Editor), Michelle Rosa (Editor), Veronica Jane Strong-Boag (Editor), Michelle Lynn Rosa (Editor)

Publisher: UTP Higher Education, May 2003
ISBN: 1551115727
MY HERO recommends this book to adult readers.
Synopsis
By 1929, when McClung fought the Canadian Supreme Court's ruling that women did not qualify as persons, she was already well known as a suffragist, writer, and politician. This may have seemed unlikely, given her early life in a colonizing farm family keenly aware that in Canada, white people like her were first amongst equals. However, the two volumes of her autobiography span a life marked by pragmatism rather than linear progression. She was dedicated to the tenets of her religion, not necessarily including the subservience of women, to the benefits of education, including that of the native population, and the humanizing influence of women in the political arena, although she could fight like a mountain lion when she felt it necessary. Annotation ©2004 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR
User Reviews:
Ashley.B | 5/21/2009 7:49 AM
I think nellie mcclung is a hero bcause without her the women of canada would not be able to vote

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews