Poets

Mile Klopcic

by Nina from Zagorje ob Savi, Slovenia

A hero is someone who is admired by many people for doing something brave or good or maybe helps us to never say never. It's someone who is friendly, hard working, honest, wise, someone who help people... It is important to have someone to take care of us and tell us to never give up on something. There are some heroes in our town and I'll introduce one of them.

Slovenian poet and translator Mile Klopcic was born on 16th November 1905 in France. When the First World War broke out, his family moved to Zagrje ob Savi and he spent his childhood there. He went to gimnasia but he didn't finish it.

In 1920, he joined the communist party of Yugoslavia. During Second World War he went to partisan resistance.

He was one of the main representative of Slovenian social poetry during both wars. His first poetry was named Plamteci okovi. His second poetry was named Preproste pesmi. He described  a daily life of minors and industrial workers because of his childhood in Zagorje. Most famous poems are: Mati mi pise, Drejcnik Andrej govori, Pogreb, Dezevna pomlad ...

As a translator he translated works of Heine, Pushkin, Lermontov, Krilov and other world famous poets. He also wrote only one dramatic work, named Mati.

He received Preseren's award twice, reward of Avnoj and reward of Maksim Gorki.

He died in Ljubljana on March, 19th 1984. There is a library of Mile Klopcic in Zagorje, named in a memory of him.

I chose Mile Klopcic because he's the one of the best poets and I respect him. His poets stayed a part of Slovenian culture. He was also a patriot. He was even a translator and I'm also interested about this job.