Health

Dr. Magdy Yacoub

by Batool Ibrahim from Cairo

My hero is a person who i love to be like him .

My hero is Dr. Magdy Yacoub. I love him and i want to be like him. He saved many peoples life. Dr.Magdy Yacoub was born in 16 November 1935 in Ashrapya, Egypt . He graduated from Cairo university and became a doctor in 1957. He said he decided to specialise in heart surgery after an aunt died of heart disease. In 1973 Dr.Magdy Yacoub became a consultant cardiothoracic surgeon at Harfield hospital. In December 1983 Sir Magdy Yacoub performed UK'S first heart and lung transplant at Harfield. In 2001, he having retired from performing surgery for the national health service at age of 65. He was known to have treated the famous Egyptian actor Omar Sharif urging the latter to give up the cigarettes that had led to his heart attack. He established the Aswan Heart Center in 2009 which is located in upper Egypt to help children with heart problems find the right medication. He established the chain of hope charity which provides cardiothoracic surgical care to the developing world.