Poets

Maya Angelou

by Anton from Marietta

nettrekker ()
nettrekker ()

Maya Angelou was born on April 4th,1928, in St. Louis Missouri. Maya Angelou also dropped out of San Francisco labor school at the age of 14.  She was raped as a child, and she refused to speak for 5 years. Maya Angelou started as a poet but also  recorded her first album. In 1954 and 1955, Dr. Angelou toured Europe with a production of the opera Porgy and Bess. She also studied modern dance with Martha Graham, danced with Alvin Ailey, on television variety shows.

In 1958, she moved to New York, where she joined the Harlem Writers Guild. In 1996, she directed her first feature film, Down in the Delta. Dr. Angelou has served in two presidential committees, was awarded the Presidential Medal of Arts in 2000, the Lincoln Medal in 2008, and has received 3 Grammy Awards. I think Maya Angelou is a hero because she made good poems, she was brave and  she believed in herself.