Surfing Soapbox: Heroes next door
remind of life's gifts

by James Pribram

Last Thursday's Laguna Heroes fest was just that, a celebration of people and their lives. Compelling enough in their own right to be called "heroes" and real enough to be your neighbor. A story about a little boy, Joey Masella, who, at the tender age of 12 and suffering from the rarest of diseases, never gave up hope. Never lost his smile or his passion for life.

Instead he lived each day to its fullest.

All the way to a hero's end.

A sweet lady you would be proud to call grandma who lost her husband, who once again finds hope and freedom through the help of "laughter yoga." To laugh again, one of the greatest pleasures of life itself, but I know you're probably thinking, "Laughter yoga? How silly."

Because I, too, was thinking "how silly." Until it dawned on me, what is wrong with silly? Nothing. And in that moment I let my guard down and began to understand that life doesn't always have to be so serious and status quo. I mean, who am I to begin living a status quo type of life?

I've never even held a real job. Hopefully I never will.

I would rather walk barefoot than in a pair of fancy shoes. I prefer a pair of trunks to a suit. Though on the rare occasion I will wear both (fancy shoes and a suit) like I did on the night of the Laguna Heroes Fest. But I will never stop my celebration of life.

I can identify better with an artist like Douglas Miller, who loves photography, painting, writing, music and probably a multitude of creative interests, which has become his way of celebrating and living life.

As opposed to the so-called 9-to-5 life, both are great, but entirely different, and it was refreshing to be reminded about what really counts in life. The smile and the laughter. Walking with grace.

Let me ramble -- charm, kindness, passion and compassion, yes the quality of life. Not the quantity.

Peace.

Read the article directly from the Coastline Pilot website
I Luv Laughing Yoga - Watch a short film on the "Laughter Yoga" club
James Pribram on MY HERO - Watch a short film on Environmental Hero, James Pribram
MY HERO story on Doug Miller

JAMES PRIBRAM is a Laguna Beach native, professional surfer and John Kelly Environmental Award winner. His websites include AlohaSchoolofSurfing and ECOWarrior Surf.com. He can be reached at [email protected]

Friday, June 6th, 2008
Coastline Pilot
Laguna Beach