Health

Paul E. Farmer

by Danielle from San Diego

Photograph of Paul Farmer (The Academy of Achievement )

"I can say some things with certainty: These problems are compelling to almost anyone who experiences them in a first-hand manner. One of the reasons that more people do not remain involved in such work is that it's difficult, and many projects and efforts fail" (Paul Farmer). Thats what Mr. Farmer answered with in an interview when he was interrogated on why he decided to devote his life to infectious disease research and humanitarian work. Paul Edward Farmer was born the  twenty - sixth of October, 1959 in West Adams, Massachusetts ("Paul Farmer"). During Farmer's young life, his whole family moved to Brooksville, Florida. In Florida, the Farmer family took a job picking citrus fruit in the company of Haitian migrant laborers where he experienced the fowl conditions the Haitian migrant laborers endured. This experience later inspires him to devote time to infectious disease research and frequent trips to Haiti. Farmer made it a goal make it valid that practical, fine health care could be available in the most tragic of situations (Skoll Foundation). In Cange, Haiti he shaped an efficient national health organization named Zanmi Lasante which provides care for nearly two hundred thousand people annually in many different ways (Lysaught). A hero must  inspire others to find ways to help their fellow humans and must be willing to go out of their own way to improve the lives of others. Paul Farmer, a medicinal anthropologist, acquires both abilities to create an impact that inspires others and the willingness to go out his own way to improve living conditions for third world countries.

Farmer examining a patient (Global Health Delivery)

Paul Farmer is a hero because  he inspires others to help their fellow humans. When asked, Charles Stokes, president and CEO of the CDC Foundation Stokes declared: "Dr. Farmer's work to fight disease and poverty shines a light on the potential for incredibly powerful results when individuals and organizations work together toward a common health goal," says Charles Stokes, president and CEO of the CDC Foundation"(Easley). Farmer has a huge impact in his field. He inspires others to do the same as him. His work gives the message to work together towards a common goal, and one shall have impressive, effective results. His acts not only help people in need, but they increase the number of people who are willing to help all over the world. In Dewitt's article it is said how Farmer has impacted the Rotary Club. "This particular act of sharing was inspired, as many have been, by Paul Farmer, the Hernando High School graduate who helped found Partners in Health 26 years ago. After Farmer received the annual Great Brooksville award in 2008, Gretchen Pingley and other members of Brooksville Rotary Club started thinking about ways to help, she said"(Dewitt).The fact that Paul Farmer has used his hard work  and time to get where he is with his relief efforts and accomplishments shows his willingness to help others. His diligence inspires other people to help in any way possible. Farmer's works and foundations build a stability in the humanitarian department in our world. It emits hope and a light then continues to lure people into feeling inspired. The relief worker leaves a meaningful, significant footprint in our world. Anthropologist Paul Farmer leaves  footsteps where he walks and impacts where he works. His efforts shine a light on him and lure other humans to feel the urge to find ways they can help, regardless of where they live or what they do.

Farmer going over the case at Rwinkwavu Hospital (Academy of Achievement)

Paul Farmer is considered a hero because goes out of his way to improve the lives of others. When asked, in an interview with a contributor to Calliope, why he decided to devote his life to infectious disease research and relief work, Farmer responded: "I can say some things with certainty: These problems are compelling to almost anyone who experiences them in a first-hand manner. One of the reasons that more people do not remain involved in such work is that it's difficult, and many projects and efforts fail"("Paul Farmer"). Mr. Farmer understands that some people don't help others because those people feel its impossible. But what some people can not comprehend is that if they were in the same struggling situation as a person living in poverty, then they would feel the difficulty of daily living. They would physically see the challenges and the absences of certain resources that the average middle class person would take for granted. Farmer's efforts in his  humanitarian work are the source of success and healthier lives. The feeling one gets from a successful project fuels one to repeat the project. His success creates more success. But more importantly, it improves the lives of others in many ways. Although Paul Farmer did not experience the same issues that the Haitians have faced at firsthand, he still had a sympathy that drove him to an ultimate goal in life. And that goal was to provide premium medical care to the countries that can not afford it, but direly do need it. Farmer could have easily turned his cheek and headed another way with his life and career, but instead he chose to devote most of his life to healing thousands of people. Farmer was nominated for the CDC award  by Ann Veneman of UNICEF. Veneman speaks a few words of Paul Farmer. "Paul Farmer has been at the cutting edge of public health debate and practice, demonstrating that 'first world' healthcare can be delivered cost-effectively in poor conditions where the burden of disease is greatest and where others see only obstacles and barriers"(Easley). In Farmer's field he has proved everyone that quality health care can be delivered in an affordable manner in poor conditions. Farmer works so that others may have the opportunity to brighten their lives and have questions answered. He works so that the Haitians can have weights taken off their chest. Paul Farmer wholeheartedly puts in great effort to make his projects a success. But more importantly, to provide better living conditions for others. Paul Farmer, a medicinal anthropologist, acquires the willingness to go out his own way to improve living conditions for third world countries.

Paul Farmer, medicinal anthropologist, acquires the ability to create an impact that inspires others and the willingness to go out his own way to improve living conditions for third world countries . All in all,  Paul Farmer used his experiences and knowledge to drive his mission to provide affordable, quality healthcare for third world countries like Haiti. His devotion to Haiti not only inspired people in Haiti, but it also inspires other organizations outside other the country. Farmer's acts are voluntary, showing he has a strong passion for what he does.  He also used his determination and success in college for the good of others. He founded the organizations that saves countless lives. Paul Farmer used his experience, sympathy, and generousness to change the world, to create a big impact on not only Haiti, but the medical and anthropology fields as well.

A Man Who Would Cure the World. "Paul Farmer Biography." Academy of Achievement. Academy of Achievement, Dec. 2013. Web. 05 May 2014. <http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/far1bio-1>.

Dewitt, Dan. "WHEELS ON THIS BUS OFFER HOPE IN HAITI." Tampa Bay Times [St. Petersburg, FL] 27 Nov. 2013: 1. Biography in Context. Web. 8 May 2014.

Easley, Shannon. "Dr. Paul Farmer Receives CDC Foundation Hero Award." CDC Foundation. CDC Foundation, 2014. Web. 02 May 2014.

Lysaught, M. Therese. "The Good Doctor." Commonweal 132.3 (2005): 28+.Biography in Context. Web. 8 May 2014.

"Paul Farmer." Contemporary Authors Online. Detroit: Gale, 2012. Biography in Context. Web. 2 May 2014.

"Skoll Foundation." Skoll Foundation. Partners in Health, 2014. Web. 02 May 2014. .

Academy of Achievement - My HERO provides health for those in need.
CDC Foundation - My HERO earns rewards for doing what he is compassionate about.