My Grandfather Pepe

by Maryfer from Tampico, Mexico

“MY HERO”
MY GRANDFATHER WITH A BULL (ON THE RANCH)

My grandfather was born on a ranch near a little town named San Julian Jalisco. When he was 8 years old his father died. He has a lot of brothers and sisters. When he was 17 years old he left home. He went to California, United States, to work. Then when he saved enough money he came to Altamira Tamaulipas to live. He began to make a business with cattle. Finally, after a lot of work, he bought a big ranch and cattle, horses, sheep, and more.

MY GRANDFATHER GIVING FOOD TO THE CATS (ON THE RANCH)

Why is my grandfather my hero? He wasn’t afraid to leave his house at 17 years of age. He thought about the future staying at the ranch and made a good decision to leave for work, even if he didn’t know how to speak English, and he went to the United States. Being there working he suffered a lot, but he made a lot of money. He returned to Mexico and chose my grandma for his partner and married her. They had 6 children, one of them my father. Although he made more business buying and selling animals, he bought a ranch and taught everyone around him to respect and love animals.

REGINA AND ME (ON THE RANCH)
REGINA AND ME (ON THE RANCH)

How did he help me to be a better person? For me, he is a big example of overcoming. He works hard to reach his dreams. I think that his life has taught me to work harder day-by-day and to not feel afraid to begin something. He has taught me to love nature, to respect the animals, to treat the animals well, and if they are sick to take care of them. His life makes me appreciate and admire, like him, nature and all the animals.