Poets

Edgar Allan Poe

by Devin from Selden

My hero is a person who brought a darker side of poetry to the world. His name is Edgar Allan Poe. He didn’t make poetry all happy and joyous like most poets back in the years he lived in. He wasn’t afraid to be independent and to stand out from all others. This next sentence is an excerpt from Poe’s poem “The Raven”.

“Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
“Tis some visitor,” I muttered, “Tapping at my chamber door,
As of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door. “Tis some visitor,” I muttered, “Tapping at my chamber door-
Only this and nothing more.”

I say Edgar Allan Poe is a hero because of his ability to give such specific details in his poetry. He can make a person imagine the exact images of what he is writing. He is able to bring his poems into a vivid demonstration as if you were dreaming. Edgar Allan Poe also is able to make a person feel horrified yet satisfied with his writing precisely at the exact same moments.

Edgar Allan Poe lived in places very different from where I have ever been in my life, and he lived in a greatly different time period than I am now. He lived from 1809 to 1849, still in the 19th century, while I live now in the 21st century. He said that he was a Virginian because he lived in Virginia for most of his life, but he did move to many different places in his duration of life. I hope that I personally get to go to as many different places and maybe some of the same places that Edgar Allan Poe has been to.

Edgar Allan Poe has made a difference in others today, whether people know it or not. He inspired some of the greatest and most well known writers and movie makers. Look at Stephen King. Edgar Allan Poe inspired him to create the things he did. Since Edgar Allan Poe took many things into a twisted darker side, Stephen King created books like “The Dark Tower” and the movie “Rose Red.”

Edgar Allan Poe is my hero because he inspires me with what he has done with his life. His poetry has inspired me to write my own bit of poetry and to hope that I become as great a poet as he has become. I want to become as famous with poetry as he is. Edgar Allan Poe achieved greatness he never imagined before in his life.

Edgar Allan Poe - Poe Museum