Sadie Dunn

by Jemirio from Roxboro

MY great-grandma has toughed it out for 100 years. Not a lot of people can do that - and she still spreads joy to all of us.

My hero is my great-grandma and her name is Mozella "Sadie" Dunn. She has changed my life so much over the years and this page is just a thank-you letter. She is 100 years old and she lives in Oxford, North Carolina. Every day she toughs it out and makes herself and everyone around her happy.

She has taught me so many things, but the most important thing is how to keep my head in the books. She stays on me about academics so I will be as successful as she was. My great-grandma taught for 32 years and never gave up on her school children with the little pay she got. She taught 3rd, 4th and 5th grade in her 32 years of experience. She is strict about African American education and she cares about everybody she meets. She is the example of the all around perfect grandma and she loves me as much as I love her.

My great-grandma also has taught me how to use proper manners when talking to anyone. She made me start saying yes ma’m, no ma’m, yes sir, and no sir at an early age and it has benefited me in so many ways already. I know that it will help me even more for the rest of my life. She has made me a young gentleman and I respect her for taking the time to do that. What my great-grandma has taught me has made me a better person.

My great-grandma has taught me a lot about willpower. She was born in 1908 and was raised in the years of segregation. She fought against segregation and sacrificed many things for blacks to have the freedom that we have today. The happiest day of her life was when she found out we were going to have a black president. The joy on her face made me very happy. My great-grandma is my example and she keeps my dreams up. Thank you Grandma for all you’ve done for me! You have taught me a lot about myself and you have made me an all around better person.

I wish you could live forever and spread more joy around us and our family.