Angels

Ty Pennington

by Lisa Mercer

“I’m the kid who never wants to grow up. I want to have fun my entire life.”

Ty was born and raised in Atlanta. Ty learned the love of woodworking from his father. Growing up, Ty loved to surf, skateboard and play soccer, and he still loves to do these things today. Ty earned his undergraduate degree in graphic design from the Art Institute of Atlanta, working his way through school as a carpenter. After graduation, Ty continued his work as a carpenter while taking night classes in painting and sculpture at the Atlanta College of Art. It wasn’t long before Ty was combining his love of art and carpentry by working as a set designer for films such as Leaving Las Vegas. Recently, he published his book "Ty Tricks" which came out October of 2003. He was also on the show "Trading Spaces," And you can now find him on "Extreme Makeover Home Edition," where they re-build houses for deserving Families.

My hero Ty is imperfect because he is an ordinary guy. He is just like you and me. He makes so many mistakes just in one week. On the show "Extreme Makeover Home Edition," I have seen him make about a thousands mistakes. He makes furniture too big or to small, crooked and everything else you could possibly think of. But he makes it all work out in the end. And whatever he is working on, it turns out wonderful, no matter how many mistakes he makes in the process. He also makes his own furniture, and sells it to people. He says he always has an awesome idea in his head, and when he tries to make it, it never comes out the way it’s supposed to. Just when he thought he made a big mistake, he finds a way to make a new piece of furniture, and make it original.

My hero Ty is independent because on the show "Extreme Makeover Home Edition," if you watch it, he does a secret room that he works on all by himself. Nobody’s allowed to see it until the family comes home. He is independent because he doesn't count on someone else to do the work for him. He is the only one that works on this secret room. He only relies on himself to get the job done. In Ty's furniture warehouse, although he has some workers working for him, he likes to do things by himself, and make it his own. Ty likes to make things his own, because he likes putting his personal touch on his work, so he has little trade marks, and he could pick out in a bunch of pieces, a furniture, and he could say..."I made that."

Ty Pennigiton is very determined. Every week on his show,” Extreme Makeover Home Edition," he is very determined that everything is going to be done by the time the seven days is up. Even if it means staying up all night to get things done. He is also very determined because makes his own furniture and as soon as he gets an order, he has to do it right away and ship it out the next day. He likes doing this because he doesn't want the customers to be waiting long, and hopefully they like the product, and they will be ordering more pieces of furniture from him.

Ty Pennigiton is my hero, because he helps families that are less fortunate, and re-builds their homes. Most of these families, are going or have gone through tough times, such as one of their children having cancer, and still have it or have gotten over it. I want to be just like Ty and help out families that need my help, and i can help them re-build homes, and I could help by doing things I love. I think that Ty is an awesome hero; he has helped so many deserving families, and I wish that I could help lots of deserving families too. That's why my hero is Ty Pennigiton.

Background graphics by CarrielynnesWorld.com