Umar Ibn Al Khattab

by Mary from Rabat

A True Muslim Leader

The hero I am going to talk about in this project is the 2nd man in Islam, after the messenger of Allah (p.b.u.h) and after Abu Bakr Assidiq. Perhaps you may all not believe me if I say that to write about this man for me was a lifetime dream. Well this man is a pioneering figure in the whole Islamic world, He was an expert Islamic jurist and he is best known for his piety and just nature and this was the reason Muhammad (p.b.u.h) gave him the nickname of Alfaruq (the one who distinguishes between right and wrong). He was a great leader, a self-respecting, broad-minded, a sincere, and God conscious Muslim who showed respect for all individuals. He is the man whose name is paired with justice and truth, strength and courage. This man is Umar Ibn Al Khattab.

Umar Ibn Al Khattab was born 11 years after the year of Elephant in Makah, to the Banu Adi clan of the Quraish tribe. Umar belonged to a family of average class. And as youth he used to be a shepherd for his aunts and his father Al Khattab who was a very rude and tough man and who had a very tough upbringing and who often treated Umar so badly. And as a man he started learning martial arts, horseback riding and wrestling and at the same time he started a business in which he was very successful which made him to be one of the wealthiest men of Quraish. Umar is described as being very tall, whenever he would be with any group of people, he would be the tallest one. He was physically strong and very well built. And it's for this reason many people feared him.

At that time literacy was uncommon but still Umar was one of the few people who learned to read and write. Not only that but he was a very skilful and gifted public speaker as well. He used to the help his family to arbitrate conflicts between different tribes. And just because of him his father succeeded as an arbitrator.

The story of Umar's conversion is well known to all Muslims of course. When 1st Islam emerged Umar was strongly opposed to it, he even threatened to kill the Messenger of Allah (p.b.u.h). One day Umar went angrily swinging his sword to find Muhammad (p.b.u.h) who was with his companions, on the way he met his friend Nuaim Ibn Abdullah who had secretly became a Muslim, and told him that he was going to kill Muhammad because he divided the Quraish, mocked their traditions, criticized their religion and abused their Gods. Nuaim felt that his beloved prophet was in danger, so he tried to cool Umar down and to divert him from his goal, by telling him that his own sister and her husband had became Muslims. Umar then returned to them and found them reading a part of the Quran. Umar hit his sister causing her to bleed because she tried to protect her husband from him. He then regretted what he had done and felt guilty and asked them to see what they were reading. After reading only few lines from Surah Ta Ha, He became speechless, mesmerized and fascinated by its beauty. Umar then immediately went to the Messenger Muhammad (p.b.u.h) and declared the Shahada at the age of 27. 

Umar's path to the truth began with a vehement hatred of Muhammad and the religion of Islam, but that hatred changed completely. It turned into a fierce love right after his entrance into Islam. Moreover, that entrance granted power to the Muslims and the Islamic faith in Makah. Many Muslims could later practice their faith openly and could pray at the Kaba '' Al Masjid Al Haram '' for the 1st time as well.

When Umar became a Caliph, Islam spread widely later, because of its simplicity, beauty, openness, transparency and of course the leadership provided by him. During his time, non-Muslims enjoyed freedom and religion; they had the right to reform their religious ceremonies. Besides, Umar followed the principle of equality very strictly and would not tolerate any kind of distinction. Furthermore he always fought to favor individual freedom and self-respect, he made it very clear that every human being was born free and no one should have to abuse himself in front of others. In addition Umar had actually cared a lot for poor and privileged people, He to be close to them lived in a simple mud hut without doors and walked the streets every evening, after consulting with the poor. Moreover his food was very simple which consisted of bread and olive oil, rarely would he eat anything else. In the other hand Umar's achievements and contributions were all remarkable and numerous, they affected especially taxation, the empire's entire financial and administrative fabric, and Social welfare as well, Umar established the 1st welfare state and it was for the Muslim and non-Muslim poor, needy ,elderly, orphans and the disabled.

I think all that I have mentioned about Umar Ibn Al Khattab explains why I chose him to be my hero. He is such a powerful and influential Muslim.