Philosophers

Voltaire

by Stephan from Brea

When someone mentions "great thinker," you may think of Socrates, Plato, or Aristotle. But have you ever heard of Voltaire? He was a French Enlightenment thinker and writer who was disrespected and exiled from France more than once during his life, but regarded now as one of the greatest philosophers of all-time. He studied religion and culture, often receiving criticism from churches across Europe. He is known for his hatred of tyranny and bigotry, and for his wit and satire. He is a great hero because of his courage to speak what he believed and for his intelligence, cleverness, and leadership.

Francois-Marie d'Arouet was born in Paris, France on November 21, 1694 to a public official father and aristocratic mother. He went to the Jesuit College Louis-le-Grand in Paris. The young Francois Marie had always wanted to become a writer, much to his father's frustration and anger. He was inspired by Moliere, Racine, and Corneille. He was able to establish himself as a young playwright due to his congeniality.

In 1726, Voltaire was exiled to England for his writing, and in the three years he was there, his philosophical interests grew much stronger. A scandal forced him to flee his home of Paris to the estate of his good friend Gabrielle Emilie Le Tonnelier de Breteuil in Cirey in 1734. He stayed there until Emilie died in childbirth in 1749. Over time, people came to re-accept his ideas and he was not considered a political outlaw anymore. In 1745, during his stay at Cirey, he was named the Royal Historiographer of France, bestowed upon him by King Louis XIV.

In 1759, he settled in Geneva, and he  bought a chateau in the lands between France and Switzerland. He named it Ferney and resided there until his death in 1778. During this time, he and other allies worked for the French Enlightenment and religious toleration. This was some of Voltaire's last work. He returned to France and was celebrated as a national hero of the Enlightenment. However, being ill, he passed away soon after, on May 30, 1778, at the age of 83. It wasn't until after his death that people realized his brilliance and his contribution to philosophy.

Voltaire was a leading figure in the French Enlightenment, a thoughtful writer, a clever playwright, a brilliant thinker, and a father of philosophy. Although unpopular, he still stood for what he believed in and never gave up. He shows true heroic qualities, such as leadership, cleverness, courage, compassion, and humility. He led the way in rational and practical thinking. Voltaire has inspired many to think like him and I think we should all live by perhaps his most famous, but in my opinion best quote, "Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do."