Yogi Berra

by UGLstudents from Hewiit

Please click on the links to watch our Puppet Shows.

Puppet Show 1st grade 
Puppet Show 2nd grade 
Puppet Show 5th grade 
Puppet Show 6th grade Morris
Puppet Show 6th grade Turi
How Yogi Berra Inspires Us

Leahna
Yogi Berra was a good man.  He worked hard to help his family.  He worked hard to help his team win the baseball games.

Maya
Yogi Berra was a great baseball player.  He was kind because he coached little kids.

Shayla
Yogi Berra played for a great team, the New York Yankees.  He never gave up.  He cheered for his team.

Gabrielle
Yogi Berra always tried his very best.  He kept on playing, even when his team was losing a game.

Claire
Yogi Berra was the best at baseball and he was great at hitting and catching the ball.  He was a famous baseball player and he played for the New York Yankees.

Ian
Yogi Berra won many baseball games.  He joined the Navy and he served our country, the USA.

Keerthana
Yogi Berra inspires me because when he was really old, he started coaching a baseball team and he kept on trying.  I want to be just like Yogi Berra when I grow up.  He was also in the Navy and he was really powerful brave and strong.  He was a really great baseball player.

Madison
Yogi Berra was in the Navy and he played baseball.  He hit a lot of home runs and he was a catcher.  He always helped his team to keep trying.

Adam
Yogi Berra inspires me by making me believe I can do the same as he did.  He made me be able to never get down on myself.  If you fail, just don't give up on your attempt.

Jake
Yogi Berra inspires me because he was fired from the Yankees and now he joined back. This inspires me because it reminds me never to give up or get mad at someone. Then he was fired again and came back not being mad.  Yogi Berra is also inspiring because he went from a bad school boy to a professional ball player for the Yankees.  He also coached the Yankees and the Mets.

DJ
Today I learned that Yogi Berra inspired a lot of people.  He got his nickname from a childhood friend because he was as quiet as a snake charmer.  He also made up Yogisms.  When he retired the playing field, Yogi Berra started coaching the Mets and then switched to the Yankees.

Dave
Yogi Berra inspires me because he was a great athlete.  He also spoke well.  Everyone who has a conversation with Yogi Berra learns something to think about.

Jessica
Yogi Berra played catcher for the next 8 seasons.  Yogi hardly ever struck out.  He coached the Yankees.  He also was in World War II.  Yogi was born in 1925 In St. Louis.  Some of his funny Yogi-isms are:
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."
"No one goes there nowadays, it's too crowded."
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."
"It gets late early out here."
Think about what Yogi Berra's sayings mean.

Ellie

Yogi Berra fought in the Navy during World War II.  He was fired from the Yankees.  Since then, he would never wear Yankees stripes.  His supervisor took 14 years to say sorry to Yogi.  Yogi was so friendly that he would distract other players while they were  playing the game.  

Ava
Yogi Berra inspires me because when he got fired, he didn't give up!  He still played baseball.  

Nicole
Yogi Berra inspires me because he went in World War II.  He also started baseball as a Yankee catcher for the next 18 seasons.  As a professional baseball player, he won the Most Valuable Player award 3 times,10 championships,18 All-Star games, and 14 World Series.  

Kayla

Yogi Berra inspires me because he never gave up and would not miss a game.  He was an amazing player and he had good sportsmanship.  I don't like baseball that much, but Yogi Berra was amazing!  I would want to be as good at something as he was.  He inspires me with this quote: "It ain't over till it's over."
I think it means that you should never give up and now I'll never give up.

Shane
Yogi Berra inspires me because he never gave up and he never really struck out.  He swung at everything like I do.  I was #8, too when I played and I almost hit a three run home run, if the ball would have gone farther.  We would have won the game if I had gone to home plate.  Yogi Berra went from the New York Yankees to the New York Mets and then back to the Yankees.  My favorite quote from Yogi Berra is: "No one goes there nowadays, it's too crowded."  I think that means you should never get lost in a crowd.

Megan
Yogi Berra inspires me because he never gave up for a very long time.  He would almost never strike out, so he probably practiced a lot.  Everyone was probably so inspired when he played baseball.  
I don't play baseball, but if I did, I would want to be like him.  I was upset that he went to the Mets and never wanted to set foot in the Yankees Stadium.  But then, he went back to his "home."  He was a very amazing man to do all of this.
This is my favorite Yogi Berra quote: "Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours." 
I think this quote means that if you don't show up somewhere they want you to go to, then they won't show up at something you want them to go to.    

Gabby
I feel so inspired by Yogi Berra because he never gave up baseball. I felt like crying when he was a player for the Mets. (I hate the Mets.) I love the Yankees.  I'm a very good pitcher, but I've never ever hit a ball before.  I've struck out a lot of people before, but I never could hit the ball.  Yogi Berra was an amazing catcher and batter.  This is my favorite Yogi Berra quote "If you can't imitate him, don't copy him."  Yogi Berra was one of a kind and no one can copy him.  He was special.

How We Are Similar to Yogi Berra 

Leahna
I am like Yogi Berra because I help my family like he did.

Maya
I am like Yogi Berra because I like to play a lot of different sports.  I like baseball, too.

Shayla
I am like Yogi Berra because I never give up.  I always help my team.  When I lose a game, I try better the next time.

Gabrielle
I am like Yogi Berra because I do work around the house to help my family.  Yogi worked three jobs to help his family.

Claire
Yogi Berra played baseball when he was a kid and I like to play baseball.  Yogi is a hard worker and so am I.

Ian
I help my family like Yogi helped his family.  He played baseball and I play soccer.

Keerthana
Yogi and I are alike because on my first day at this school, I had trouble listening.  We are both loving and friendly.  We both show kindness and fairness.

Madison
Yogi Berra liked baseball like me.  

Adam
Yogi Berra is a hero.  He helped out this family by dropping out of school just to get a full time job to earn money for his family, so they were not that poor.  He also tried to buy stuff and sell it for more money to get profit, not for himself, but for this family.  Then Yogi Berra got an application for the Yankees and he got $90 plus a $500 bonus.  I honestly think of my family first, over anything else.  If something happens, I'll help them.  I like a lot of sports like Yogi Berra (not all the exact same ones, but I still love sports for a fun activity).

Jake
I'm like Yogi Berra because he made a club in his neighborhood with his friends that was a sports club.  I made a football league with my friends.  He played soccer with his friends for fun and I play soccer with my friends for fun, too! I also have many siblings like Yogi Berra!  Yogi Berra was offered a spot for the St. Louis Cardinals, but he turned down the offer because he was not offered a bonus.  He would be paid $90 and a $500 bonus!  You might not think that's a lot of money for a pro baseball player, but back then, that kind of money was a fortune!

DJ
Yogi Berra was a team player an so am I.  He had a rough childhood, but he survived.  How he got into sports was he and his friend Joe made a club called the "Stag Athlete Club."  Yogi Berra was a good guy because he dropped out of school to work at a shoe factory to support his family.  Then, he got an application from the Yankees and joined the team and became famous!  I think we are alike because we both have played soccer and we both have worked very hard.

Dave
Yogi Berra and I are alike because he was a good athlete and I am a good athlete.  He was interested in sports like me.  He was also on a lot of team sports.  That means that he was a team player and so am I.  

Jessica

Yogi Berra had 4 brothers and 1 sister and I have one brother. He was a baseball player on the Yankees team and he played football, roller hockey, soccer, and basketball when he was a kid.  I'm a Yankees fan and I play Scooter Football and I play sports during gym.  After 8th grade, Yogi quit school and got a full-time job at a shoe factory to support his family.  When I get older, I will get a good job and take care of my family.  Yogi played kids baseball in a sandlot. Then he wanted to play in the Pro-league, so he tried out and he got in the league.  I always try my very best like Yogi Berra.

Ellie

Even though Yogi Berra dropped out of school, he worked hard in a shoe factory full time to raise money for his family.  I'm a hard worker, too and I help my family.  For fun, Yogi and his friends would buy candy bars for 3 cents and sell them for 5 cents.  I am smart and I have a lot of good ways to make money.  Yogi Berra was so good at sports that he was offered 1000 dollars to play baseball on the Yankees.  I'm a Yankees fan.  As a child, he played lots of sports such as hockey, basketball, soccer, football, and what he was known best for, baseball.  What we both have in common is that we are both Italian and we both play ball.  (I play softball.)

Ava
Yogi Berra was very athletic and he loved playing sports like, basketball, football, baseball and lots more.  I like playing sports in gym and on Field Day.  He had 4 brothers and 1 sister and I have a brother named Max.  After 8th grade, he quit school and he got a full time job working at a shoe factory.  Yogi was very kind by working to help his family.  I`m very kind just like Yogi because I would help anybody with anything they need.  I care about my family, too.

Nicole
can connect to Yogi Berra's child life because I remember trying to make money and spending it on art things.  This is just like when Yogi worked and he spent his money on baseball things.

Kayla
I am like my hero because when Yogi Berra was a child, he played soccer and I used to play soccer.  I used to have soccer practice in Wayne,NJ.  Nowadays, I just play at my Nana's house and I play it for fun.  Yogi always had a good time when he played baseball and he made the game fun for his teammates.

Shane
I am like my hero, Yogi Berra, because I play baseball and football like he did.  I have a nickname as well, but not "Yogi."  My nickname is "Yoda."  I got my nickname from my football teammates since it's part of my last name.  I have another nickname: "Shane The Brain."  I got that nickname last year when I played football.  My coach would ask questions and I would answer correctly all the time.  Like Yogi Berra, I used to sell candy bars to help make money for my football team.

Megan
I am like my hero, Yogi Berra, because I help my family out by doing chores.  I take my dogs outside, put away my clothes and dishes, and clean my room.  I would not quit school to raise money for my family, but I would help out my mom and dad.  When I did TREP$, I earned $120 for my partner, Sasha, my family, and me.  I am inspired by Yogi Berra because of his kindness.  He helped out his family by working in a coal yard when he was just a kid.

Gabby

I am like my hero, Yogi Berra, because I like to play football, soccer, softball, and basketball.  We both put our family first before others.  We are both very out-going.  I play the same sports for fun with my friends just like Yogi did.  We both have large families.  

Puppet Show 1st grade 
Puppet Show 2nd grade 
Puppet Show 5th grade 
Puppet Show 6th grade Morris
Puppet Show 6th grade Turi

Please watch OUR show - Miss Pappas'''' 1st grade created this show
Please watch OUR show - Mrs. Conklin''''s 2nd grade created this show.
Please watch OUR show - Miss Cemelli''''s 5th grade created this show.
Please watch OUR show - Mrs. Morris'''' 6th grade created this show.
Please watch OUR show - Mrs. Turi''s 6th grade created this show.

Appel, Martin. Yogi Berra. New York: Chelsea House, 1992.

Editors, Biography.com. "Yogi Berra." [Online] Available http://www.biography.com/people/yogi-berra-9210325.