Yuri Gagarin

by Olga from Miass, Russia

Yuri Gagarin
Yuri Gagarin

My hero.

What is a hero? A hero is a person, who does something meaningful for people. For example, heroes are the greatest Russian sportsmen, because they win in different international competitions. Also, heroes are the talented military leaders, for example Suvorov, Kutuzov, Zhukov and many others. Heroes are the famous Russian scientists. Because they create new things or try to make people's lives better. My hero is the first person, who flew in space – Yuri Gagarin. I guess that flying in space is very interesting and wonderful.

Yuri Alekseyevich Gagarin was born in the village of Klushino near Gzhatsk (now it is called Smolensk Oblast), on 9 March 1934. His parents, Aleksey Ivanovich Gagarin and Anna Timofeyevna Gagarina, were collective farmers. When he was a young boy he got very interested in space and planets. At that age he began to dream about his space tour. When he started his working career he joined a pilot school and later Gagarin was selected for further training at a technical high school in Saratov. While there, he joined the "Aero Club", and learned to fly a light aircraft. In 1955, after finishing his technical schooling, he entered military flight training at the Orenburg Pilot's School. On 12 April 1961 Gagarin became both the first human to travel into space, and the first to orbit the earth. His call sign was “Kedr” and his space ship was called Vostok-I. Gagarin became an international celebrity, and was awarded many medals and honours, including Hero of the Soviet Union, the nation's highest honour. I think that any person can become a hero, if he/she does something helpful, great, mainly for your country and your folk.

Prosvirina Olga.