President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni

by Patrick Kiyemba from Pretoria

<a href=http://www.visiting-uganda.com/profile/images/Yoweri_Museveni.jpg>His excellence President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni</a>
His excellence President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni

My hero is his excellence President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, the president of Uganda. He is the first Uganda president to introduce free primary education to the Republic of Uganda.

In many years Uganda has had more than 10 presidents but none of them has started free primary education for people of Uganda. He is a hero me to me because of Uganda's previous experience. The free primary education has a general name called Universal Primary Education (UPE). UPE has been in existence for almost ten years since it was launched. This is only done in government schools, not private schools. This education has led to reduction of illiteracy of the children of Uganda. Most of them now know how to read and write.

President Yoweri is a hero too because he is the first African leader to receive credit for fighting against AIDS in Africa. Uganda is the first country in Africa to fight against AIDS due to a leader who is anxious about stopping this killer disease. He has tried to create some counseling and treatment of AIDS victim. He introduced projects like the Aids saving organization which specifically treats and looks after the people who have been affected by AIDS, like providing them with food, medicine and counseling. Uganda is one of the few African countries where the rate of AIDS has fallen.

He is among the first African leaders to receive funds to fight against AIDS in Africa from America. The funds were donated by the Bill and Melinda Foundation, the founder of Microsoft, in an attempt to stop AIDS in Uganda. Thanks to Bill Gates and his wife, too, for their giving their support to stop this epidemic disease which is killing people especially on the Africa continent.

To me, he is a hero also because he is the first president of Uganda to restore the kingdoms and reinstate them freely since they were abolished by the late president, Milton Obote, in 1966. President Yoweri's action has led to the coronation of Prince Ronald Muwenda Mutebbi as the 26th (Kabaka) king of Buganda, the late Prince Patrick Olimi Kaboyo, (Omukama) king of Toro; Prince Solomon Iguru, (Omukama) king of Bunyoro; and Prince Henry Wako Muloki as the 3rd Kyabazinga (king).