Abraham Lincoln

by Jacki

Abraham Lincoln was a very honest person and because of this, he became president of the United States. He belonged to political parties, such as the Whigs and the Republicans. He was born on Feb. 12, 1809, near Hodgenville, Ky.

When Lincoln was a young man, about 14 years old, he and the rest of his family lived in Indiana. Most of the people from the Midwest had farms with back-breaking work. Abe was a very tall, strong person. He was the best local athlete and storteller. But his father aways made sure there was plenty of work for him. Abe always wanted to have an education, so he walked from house to house borrowing books. The Bible was probably the only book his entire family owned.

Lincoln worked for a while as a ferryman on the Ohio River. When he was about 19 years old, he helped take a flatboat cargo to the New Orleans. When Abe came back home, his father decided that he wanted to move to Illinois were his cousin John lived.

Abe married Mary Todd and they had four children named Robert Todd, Edward Baker, William Wallace, and Thomas "Tad". Lincoln was a captain in the Black Hawk War in 1832. He also had two nicknames: the first one was Honest Abe, and the second one was Illinois Rail-Splitter. He didn't have any specific religion. He was a lawyer until he became president of the United States.

But Abraham Lincoln was assassinated, and died April 15th, 1865, in Washington DC.

He was buried in Oak Ridge Cemetery, Springfield, Ill. His casket was moved around and hidden for 36 years because of the threat of kidnapping. His casket was finally buried at the Lincoln Tomb in 1901.

I admire and talk about Abraham Lincoln a lot because he was such a good person who everybody should admire. He ended slavery with the Emancipation Proclamation of Jan. 1, 1863.

"Not often in the story of mankind does a man arrive on Earth who is both steel and velvet, who is as hard as rock and soft as drifting fog, who holds in his heart and mind the paradox of terrible storm and peace unspeakable and perfect. Here and there across centuries come reports of men alleged to have these contrasts. And the incomparable Abraham Lincoln, born 150 years ago this day, is an approach if not a perfect realization of this character."