ASPCA

by Sierra from USA

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) is an organization of people who protect and save animals. They also find good homes that the animals can go to so they can live a good life.

The ASPCA is an organization founded in 1886 by Henry Bergh. It presently consists of fifteen officers. Their job is to shelter animals in need as quickly as possible. These animals are then put up for adoption.

The main objective of the ASPCA is to try to stop animal cruelty throughout the United States. The ASPCA is the oldest humane organization in America. There are 502 shelters just in New Jersey. The animals that the ASPCA takes in include birds, cats, rats, hamsters, dogs, horses, pot belly pigs, rabbits, and reptiles. Any other kinds of animals found are turned over to other shelters or farms, and, in some cases, zoos. The animals that are taken are kept in separate living spaces and given what they need to survive. They are treated well, but still missing a real home with someone who will spend time with them and love them.

The people who mistreat the animals get in trouble, too. There are different laws in each state, but, no matter what, animal cruelty is against the law. You are either fined or put in jail depending on what shape the animal is in. The owner of the animal always gets in trouble.

A lot of animals do get adopted, but they are mostly puppies and kittens. Most older animals stay there until they can be transported to other shelters or stores like Petco, Petsmart, or Paws for adoption. It’s really sad, but very true. After a certain period of time, if the animal isn’t found a home or it can’t be tamed, then he or she will have to be put to sleep.

The ASPCA needs money to run the shelters. Lots and lots of donations are made every day by people like you and me. Donations are also given out by large corporations. Steve Irwin of the Crocodile Hunter is a big donator. The money they get goes to feeding/caring for the pets and it also goes to the vets that are hired to treat the animals.

The officers that work at the ASPCA work very hard. They are always on cases. To work at a shelter or the ASPCA, you need to be a certain age. ANYONE of ANY age can volunteer. Volunteer means to work and help out for no pay. Paws Animal Shelters take in people who want to help and your local vet might also. In Jersey City, 26 middle school students (6th grade) collected and donated over 3,000 pounds of newspaper to a local animal shelter in desperate need of supplies. Also, a 12-year-old boy from Florida started a business to save dogs that were about to be put to sleep. He has saved 60 dogs so far!! He gives away dogs to this friends and families! That’s a help to the society.

In conclusion, the ASPCA is my hero because they believe in animals' rights and they do what they need to do to help animals. They are also very brave. They put their life on the line every day for these animals. It’s very, very hard to love an animal under this condition and risk your life to save this dog or cat in need. The animal precinct officers make a difference in my life. That’s why they’re my heroes.