Princess Diana

by Sabrina from Canada

“A princess isn’t all that it is cracked up to be,” states Princess Diana (Google).

“A princess isn’t all that it is cracked up to be,” states Princess Diana (Google). She should know, she was a princess after all. Diana Frances Spencer is her full name. Princess Diana was born on the first of July, 1961 in Park House, the home where her parents rented “on the royal family’s estate at Sadringham (royalty). She was the youngest daughter of Edward Spencer and Frances Spencer. Her parents then divorced and her father received custody of the children (Wikipedia 1). The Princess of Wales has two sisters named Jane and Sarah, and she has a younger brother named Charles (Buzzle 1). Diana Spencer went to Riddlesworth Hall in Norfolk and at West Health Girls’ School in Sevenoaks, Kent to be educated as a student. Naturally, she was a below-average student, but she excelled in sports such as swimming. She was a talented pianist and her dream was to become a ballerina (Wikipedia 2). When her grandfather, Albert Spencer (7th Earl Spencer) died in 1979, Edward Spencer became the 8th Earl Spencer which made Diana a Lady. Then the family moved to her family’s ancestral home in Athorp. After a year, the 8th Earl Spencer married Raine, the Countess of Dartmouth (Wikipedia 1-2).

Prince Charles and Lady Diana were married on Wednesday July the 29, 1981. From then on Diana gained the title of Her Royal Highness The Princess of Wales (Wikipedia 2). Together, they bore two wonderful children, Prince William and Prince Henry. Prince William was born on June the 21, 1982, and Prince Henry was born on September the 15th, 1984. (Wikipedia 3). Lady Diana wanted to use all her publicity to help for good causes such as AIDS or homeless people. She wanted to create awareness so that people with AIDS do not have to be isolated from other human beings. She wanted to raise money for those children who cannot go to school. She was a very active princess, going to very poor countries and helping them out. She donated a lot of money and she took care of some sick children, women and men. She wanted to show the world that sick people need to be loved and be treated fairly and that they need support in order to get somewhat better. Princess Diana wanted “to raise the profile of organizations helping the homeless, the disabled, and those suffering with HIV.” (BBC America). She tried her best to change the public's opinion of AIDS sufferers. Princess Di also wanted to tell the world to be careful with children around landmines because it is in their nature to be curious and they could seriously injure themselves and maybe even die. She wished to accomplish these goals in order to make this world a better place to live and she tried to the best princess she could be. She went through hard times when she grew up with her parents’ divorce and she learned from that. She learned that every child needs love and support.

Diana worked her way to the top. First Diana (like any other ordinary child) had to attend school. After school was done, to receive some money on her own, Diana became a waitress. After becoming a waitress she became a cleaning lady! Yes, our beloved Diana was a normal teenager desperate for some money on her own. After those jobs, Her Highness, became a kindergarten teacher. Then her “romance” with Prince Charles began (Royalty). If she never wed Prince Charles, she would not have had enough money to go on all those trips visiting poor countries and donating money to them so they can have food and shelter. She supported a lot of charity projects, she was against the use of landmines and she tried her best to help aide victims. “In April 1987, the Princess of Wales was the first high-profile celebrity to be photographed knowingly touching a person infected with HIV virus.” She even took landmine awareness education classes so she could learn more about the issue so she could explain to the world what dangers it exposes us to. She visited AIDS and landmine sufferers and she made them feel good inside. (Wikipedia 4). “She worked tirelessly for charity, and was beloved by the public for her warmth and humanity.” (Royalty).

Diana helped “change world opinion, helped give hope to people with AIDS, and helped save lives of people at risk” (Wikipedia 4). She helped shelter and nourish tons of homeless children and adults. She spoke kind and reassuring words to children in the hospitals and made them feel all good inside. Princess Diana gave a lot of speeches about problems like eating disorders and she made some teenagers think twice before deciding to commit suicide or have eating disorders. She brought joy to the world. She wanted to use her publicity in a way to help humanity and that is a goal she definitely accomplished. “Pictures of Diana touring a minefield, in a ballistic helmet and flak jacket, were seen worldwide” (Wikipedia 4). The Princess accomplished so much mentally; she learned that by hurting yourself, is not what hurts others. Another thing she learned is to tell people you care about what you are feeling because they do not know what you are thinking about, do not just wait for them to come up to you and ask what is wrong? You need to make the first move although it seems that nobody seems to care. Our Princess learned that the hard way.

The Princess of Wales effected everyone in this world. She taught us to make decisions very carefully and to not make others feel bad. She wanted to ban landmines, but she died before she could accomplish that goal. Now, in recognition of her hard work, the world is following her footsteps and is trying to accomplish her goal. “The United Nations appealed to the nations which produced and stockpiled the largest numbers of landmines (China, India, North Korea, Pakistan, Russia and the United States) to sign the Ottawa Treaty forbidding their production and use, for which Diana had campaigned” (Wikipedia 5). “Since Diana’s death, a memorial fund has been established to continue the charity work she cared so much about. The Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fund is dedicated to awarding grants to organizations that support people in need” (BBC AMERICA). She is still in the people’s hearts and they miss her. They keep thinking about how much work she did for them and they want to continue her work.