Celebrating the best of humanity, one story at a time.
Visit our Facebook Visit our Twitter

Overview & Lesson Plans

Welcome to MY HERO's Media Arts Resources site, where you'll find the tools to help you bring your heroes' stories alive through digital filmmaking. The resources we've created and assembled here will take you from pre-production planning through capturing and manipulating images and sound, to editing and public exhibition of your films.

Creating media has become as basic a skill as writing a sentence, and the storytelling capabilities at the heart of MY HERO are a vital tool for today's students, who must be prepared to share concepts and tell stories in a contemporary way. The lesson plans will help you integrate digital storytelling into academic subjects, guiding students through the process of creating heroes' stories while honing real world 21st century skills — group collaboration, problem solving, personal expression and expertise in utilizing technology.

We look forward to screening your short films and learning about your heroes!

Mitch Aiken
Education Management and Consulting
Digital Media Arts in Education

VR Resource VR for Good - Resource List
A guide to virtual reality content that promotes creativity, innovation & activism.
by Christopher Cain

VR Classroom Guide VR for Good - Classroom Guide
A guide to understanding VR and using Virtual Reality in the classroom.
by Christopher Cain

Production Production
These step-by-step resources will help young filmmakers get started.

Cinematography Cinematography
Here you will find guidelines to creating compelling images for your media project. From framing and lighting to color theory and camera movement, this resource will help all young filmmakers learn how to best match their filming techniques with their production goals.

Images Working with Images
Here you will find thorough explanations of different techniques for digitally shooting, scanning, processing and manipulating photos and images to use in your media project.

Sound Working with Sound
Sound is one of the MOST important elements in movies of all kinds. A good sound design will make a great movie even better and bad quality sound will quickly ruin a good movie. Sound communicates through the emotions. So, if you want to touch people, spend some time and creative thought on the sound in your movie.

Post Production Post Production
Where all of the elements come together to create your film. Tutorials and tips on using non-linear editing software to build your film and prepare it for sharing with others.

Exhibition Exhibition
The final phase of the filmmaking process is Exhibition, when you have completed your film and are ready to share it with the world. Visit the Submit Your Film page for instructions on how to enter the MY HERO Short Film Festival.

Hero Fest Guide Host a Local Hero Fest
Celebrate the best of your community!
Click here to download [PDF]

Lesson Plans
The lesson plans help direct students to identify, research and write about their hero, then take their ideas and research material and develop them into a short film. The lesson plans focus on basic media literacy skills as students develop images, text and sound, incorporate movement, and edit the elements together into a visual tribute to their hero.

You can start with these resources to help students select appropriate Heroes for their projects:
How Should We Choose Our Heroes? Essay by Charles Harper
How Should We Choose Our Heroes? Lesson Plan by Charles Harper

CREATING ACTIVIST MEDIA GUIDE
by Wendy Milette

CREATING ACTIVIST MEDIA RESOURCES
by Wendy Milette and Wendy Jewell

Creating a Film for the MY HERO Short Film Festival and Competition
by Jerrilyn Jacobs , Taft High School, Woodland Hills, CA.

Film Analysis Using the MY HERO Film Collection: Identifying Genre, Techniques, and Message
by Jerrilyn Jacobs, Taft High School, Woodland Hills, CA.

Exploring Film Genres for Telling Hero Stories: Narrative Shorts
by Wendy Milette

Exploring Film Genres for Telling Hero Stories: Experimental Shorts
by Wendy Milette

Exploring Film Genres for Telling Hero Stories: Documentary Shorts
by Wendy Milette

Exploring Film Genres for Telling Hero Stories: Animated Shorts
by Wendy Milette

Also, please visit our partners in education:
AFI Screen Education

Directing the Hero Within Resource Guide:
Change Media Toolkit

©2013 The My Hero Project, Inc. All rights reserved. Technical errors or questions? support@myheroproject.org

.
Support Us