Health

Elizabeth Glaser

by Spencer from Crossroads Middle School

Ariel Glaser was a little girl who contracted AIDS. Her mother, Elizabeth, had contracted the disease from a blood transfusion, and had unknowingly given it to her child. When Ariel died in 1988, Elizabeth Glaser co-founded the Pediatric AIDS Foundation with Susan DeLaurentis and Susie Zeegan. The Foundation is dedicated to medical research to improve the survival rate of children infected with the AIDS virus. The Ariel Project, named for Elizabeth's daughter, was specifically created to find ways of preventing HIV from being transmitted from mothers to newborns.

Despite her illness, Glaser never stopped working to raise millions of dollars for the Pediatric AIDS Foundation. When she died in 1994, she had succeeded in helping many HIV-positive children.

Paul Glaser, Elizabeth's husband, continued his wife's efforts and, in doing so, earned the cooperation of the Clinton Administration, the National Institute of Health and a growing number of public and private supporters.

The Glaser family's tragedy triggered an inspiring commitment to helping kids, for which future generations can be thankful. Elizabeth Glaser chose not to be a victim and instead became a hero.

The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation
United Nations Development Programme - projects on HIV and AIDS
Success stories in the fight against AIDS - How various countries are effecting change and educating their citizens about the risk of HIV and AIDS
Read Casey's Elizabeth Glaser story

Spencer, age 13, from Crossroads Middle School in Santa Monica, California writes:

Elizabeth Glaser is my hero because she didn't give up after her daughter, Ariel, died in 1988 from a bad blood transfusion. Knowing that both she and her son had HIV, she didn't give up, like others did. She kept on fighting, raising millions of dollars for the Pediatric AIDS Foundation. Sadly, she died in 1994, but thankfully, she helped many others. Elizabeth Glaser should be remembered as a hero.

Casey from Montvale, New Jersey, writes:

In three words I would describe Elizabeth Glaser as determined, dedicated and caring. She started a foundation for children with AIDS and raised $30 million to fund research and find a cure. Even though Elizabeth was terminally ill, she put other people's lives before her own read more...

MY HERO was honored to be part of the TIME FOR HEROES event in Los Angeles in June of 2005. Volunteers worked with visitors to create MURALS for the ART MILES MURAL PROJECT. Celebrity "heroes" who also volunteered to be part of this annual fundraising event for the The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation were interviewed about their heroes by youth reporter Olivia Milch.

AIDS: THE GLOBAL CHALLENGE

In the fall of 1999, The United Nations Children's Fund reported that the current AIDS epidemic "has turned sub-Saharan Africa into a 'killing field'...and will wipe out enough adults to create 13 million orphans in the next 18 months." We must do everything we can to help these children.

Elizabeth Glaser led the fight with the creation of the The Pediatric AIDS Foundation. Let's make this global crisis a cause for unity. Let's fight for the rights of these children to live with dignity as we work to find the cure.