Visit our Facebook Visit our Twitter

Sign
View
Search

Debra Newell from Hillsboro, KENTUCKY UNITED STATES OF AMERICA- 5/18/2003 at 1:45:00 PM.
My hero is: Frank Sousley. This is one of the men who died shortly after they raised the American Flag on the Beaches of Iwo Jima. And all the brave souls who died and those who surived and to all those still being captive over there.

Darlene from Kingston,   - 1/16/2003 at 7:52:00 AM.
My hero is: ROBERT L. SWANK. This man, although not with me anymore is to this day..My Hero; he is not only my hero but my Father. Robert Swank was a man loved by many, touching many hearts, this man was a man that cared,no matter who you were or what the problem he cared, not in just a word but with heartfelt feelings. My dad worked in a Mental Hospital, caring for the likes of many challenged people,old and young alike. My father was a man who would look out for the people not only around him..but people everywhere! My father went to war to serve for his country while i was very small..I was so excited to hear he was coming home from Iraq, but little did I know ..this little girl would be sitting by his bedside in a local hospital. Bonded to this man I lay on his chest in his bed and try to protect him from the nurses and the doctors, leave my daddy alone! I asked many "whats wrong with my daddy?" All I got was "honey your daddy is very sick", seeing the tears of many by his bedside, the quietness, the air so thick you could cut it with a knife. I didn't understand but one day dad got worse, I heard my family talking..Robert is dying very fast..he has Lukemia..blood cancer from the war. My tears were many although just a little girl, I knew this pain..Robert L. Swank was Airborne when a radiation bomb went off, that marked my father for life. At the age of 24 this amazing man died. The memories came back..the smiles..the love..the playfulness in this Hero of mine. The red couch..sharing some fruit with me..the walks in the park..quiet times just to hold me. From the day he died my life became hell..I won't go into this..this is his story. Please anyone reading this ...give more recognition to those who have died for our country..for all suffering today and for the men that are fighting for us today..God Bless them all and keep them safe. Today is Memorial Day 2002, this day is very special and a very emotional day for me..not just today but everyday I miss him in my life. Its been many years that My Personal Hero has been gone..but he lives each and everyday in my heart and will never be forgotten..I love you dad! Thankyou for being my inspiration...thankyou for the love and the memorys! Your Daughter...Darlen

PETER J. VINCI from PortChester, NY USA- 6/2/2002 at 8:44:00 AM.
My hero is: www.pearlharborhero.com. Because he was a great men who saved a man's life before thinking of himself. The last six and a half years he lived in a vent and the last 3 years could not move from war wounds which brought on ALS. He always was laughing and was the toughest man anyone saw. He was given sometimes up to 30 needles a day and laughed through it all, what a tough man that anyone that was around him a much better person!

Kathleen M. waite from Staten Island , NEW YORK  USA- 5/31/2002 at 9:29:00 AM.
My hero is: Kevin A. Waite, My Brother. The day that the World Trade Center was attacked, my brother, volunteered to rush up to Ground Zero. He is a NYC, Transit worker from Staten Island. He was sitting at the ferry and he saw all the people coming off the ferry boat hurt, bleeding, and crying. He felt terrible and wanted to do something to help. Without any hesitation, he drove off though a tunnel of thick and black smoke. He said the ashes were 3feet deep and he saw body parts everywhere. He volunteered to pick up all the NYC firefighters at Ground Zero and return them safetly to their families & fire houses. He never once thought of his own safety, but acted on pure compassion, kindness, love of his country, and fellow man. He is only 26 yrs. old and I feel what he did was very brave and he risked his own life to save others. He said he will never forget the sights he saw that day, on 9/11. This is why my brother is a true hero. I am sure that his heroic act was appreciated and will never be forgotten. Kathleen M. Waite

SaMantha from missauga, ONTERIO can- 5/28/2002 at 6:19:00 AM.
My hero is: My Grandpa. Beacose he reely funy And he amkes me lafe.

Suzie from Calgary, ALBERTA Canada- 5/27/2002 at 9:41:00 AM.
My hero is: soldiers. My heros are all the soilders on september 11 2001 and they helped save the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stephanie from Orange, CA USA- 5/25/2002 at 8:51:00 AM.
My hero is: Kurt Klein. Please read this inspiring obituary from the Associated Press, April 2002: Kurt Klein, WWII Veteran Who Helped Spread Hope With the simplest of gestures – a door held open, a gentle voice – Kurt Klein and Gerda Weissmann brought a sense of humanity to a scene of horror. He was a US Army lieutenant. She, one day shy of her 21st birthday, at 68 pounds, with gray hair, at the end of a 300-mile death march, was a Holocaust survivor. Their first encounter outside a booby-trapped warehouse in Europe on May 7, 1945, blossomed into a 57-year love affair with a tireless mission: to battle intolerance and hunger and to turn heartache into hope for generations ranging from Holocaust victims to Columbine High School survivors. Mr. Klein died Friday in Guatemala on a lecture tour to deliver their message of hope. He was 81. "Their life together was like a fairy tale," their friend from Buffalo, Ruth Kahn Stovroff, told The Buffalo News. "They carried a message around the world… how you can turn any horrible degree of evil into good, with enough courage and faith." Following Mr. Klein’s retirement in the late 1980s, the couple moved to Scottsdale, Ariz., established the Gerda and Kurt Klein Foundation, and spread their message through an international lecture tour. Their story was also retold in a variety of settings. Gerda Klein was the subject of HBO’s Academy-Award winning documentary "One Survivor Remembers," in which she delivers a quiet, personal, shattering account of her three years in a concentration camp. She also wrote a book about her experiences and liberation called "All But My Life," for which Mr. Klein was the editor. The two are featured prominently in videotapes shown at the Holocaust Museum in Washington, DC. Born in Germany, Kurt Klein was forced to leave school shortly after his bar mitzvah as conditions worsened for Jews. He taught himself English by reading about America, and when he was 16, his parents sent him to the United States. Mr. Klein arrived in Buffalo with $10 in his pocket and worked as a typesetter, dishwasher, and cigar store clerk to help pay for his parents’ passage from Germany. They made it as far as France, but efforts to get US visas were snarled by red tape and a lack of interest by US Embassy officials, and the war caught up with them. They were sent to Auschwitz, where they died. Mr. Klein’s efforts to save them from the Nazis were recounted in the PBS firm "America and the Holocaust: Deceit and Indifference." Mr. Klein joined the US Army and fought against his homeland. As the war dragged to a close and hundreds of thousands of Germans began surrendering, US intelligence agents tapped his ability to speak German. He was on patrol when he heard that a group of concentration camp survivors had been found near a warehouse. That group included Gerda Weissmann. After three years in a German concentration camp, Gerda had been forced to march with 2,000 other camp survivors toward Czechoslovakia. By early May, when SS officers abandoned them in a booby-trapped warehouse and joined the German retreat, only 150 of them were still alive. "All of a sudden, I saw a strange car coming down the hill, no longer green, not bearing a swastika, but a white star," Mrs. Klein later said of the US jeep. When Lieutenant Klein walked up to her, he asked if anyone spoke German or English. Her response was a warning. "We are Jewish, you know," she said in German. She said the soldier hesitated. "Then his own voice sort of betrayed his own emotion and he said, ‘So am I,’" she later recounted. "It was the greatest hour of my life. "Then he asked an incredible question: ‘May I see the other ladies?’ "It was a form of address I hadn’t heard in six years. Then he held the door for me and let me precede him and in that gesture restored me to humanity." When she took him inside to stand among the sick and dying young women, she made an encompassing gesture with her hand and said, "Noble be man, merciful and good." The soldier recognized the words. "What shocked me was that she could recall the opening lines of a poem by Goethe under those unspeakable conditions," he recalled. In addition to bringing his future wife to safety, Lieutenant Klein also helped arrange safe passage into American hands for a group of suspected German prisoners who turned out to be concentration camp escapees. Only in 1987, when one of the prisoners wrote him, did Mr. Klein learn that among the group he saved was a person who became famous decades later for his own heroics. His name was Oskar Schindler. Associated Press obituary April 25, 2002

Sasha Chhabra from Old Greenwich, CONNECTICUT USA- 5/24/2002 at 5:51:00 PM.
My hero is: Thomas McCann. He was a firefighter who saved people on Sept.11 and died trying to put the fire out.

Jessica Lynn from Castle Rockf, WASHINGTON U. S.- 5/23/2002 at 6:03:00 PM.
My hero is: All the firefighter's. The firefighters are hero's because of their bravery, and how they lost their lives to save others!

may from windsor, PA us- 5/23/2002 at 3:02:00 PM.
My hero is: dad. He tursted me with a gun when we went huntiging together.

Jen from Red Lion, PA US- 5/22/2002 at 12:50:00 PM.
My hero is: my pap. HE fought in a war and he risked is life for us. Ithamk him for that. He could of got killed but he didn't.

Holly Tallichet from State College, PA  - 5/21/2002 at 1:25:00 PM.
My hero is: Colonel Chamberlain. My hero is Colonel Chamberlain because he is strong in spirit, mind and body. In the battle of Gettysburg he fought on the side of the mountain. When his friend was wounded he kept going on. When he ran out of amo, he charged down the hill and won the battle. When he got new troups that didn't want to fight, he didn't make them. He was very nice to them and they fought. These are only three of the reasons I chose Colonel Chamberlain as my hero.

Holly Tallichet from State College, PA  - 5/21/2002 at 12:44:00 PM.
My hero is: Colonel Chamberlain. My hero is Colonel Chamberlain because he is strong in spirit, mind and body. In the battle of Gettysburg he fought on the side of the mountain. When his friend was wounded he kept going on. When he ran out of amo, he charged down the hill and won the battle. When he got new troups that didn't want to fight, he didn't make them. He was very nice to them and they fought. These are only three of the reasons I chose Chamberlain as my hero.

Rachel from Downingtown, PENNSYLVANIA  - 5/21/2002 at 12:37:00 PM.
My hero is: Freida Mae Harding. Freida Mae Harding is my hero because she was in World War 1. Many people lost their lives in the war. It took real courage to do what she did.Women back then were not encouraged to fight in wars. Just now their is a memorial for women in wars opening. Freida Mae Harding certaainly deserves to get in. She's my Hero!

Josh Clark from Brunswick , GEORGIA  - 5/21/2002 at 12:37:00 PM.
My hero is: Audie Murphy. Audie Murphy was the son of a poor Texas sharecropper, but his poorness would soon be overwhelmed by his outstanding bravery in World War II. His years in the war gave him 33 medals, one of those being the Medal of Honor. He also received 5 medals from Belgium and France. Starting out, he was an Army Private, but was upgraded to Staff Sergeant soon after. In the battle field he was commissioned to 2nd Lieutenant. this is probably because he killed 240 of the enemy, while wounding and capturing several others. This he did after being wounded three times, and saving many comrades. He died on May 28, 1976, Memorial Day weekend, in a plane crash near Roanoke, Virginia. He was buried in June and was given a full military funeral. His grave is the second most visited grave in America. Audie Murphy is what I would call a true American hero.

Jake from Chicago, IL  - 5/21/2002 at 12:33:00 PM.
My hero is: Milton Olive III. Milton Olive III is a hero to his nation. Not a lot of people know who he is or what heroic deed he did, but that doesn't make him any less of a hero than any other hero. On October 22, 1965 on a search and destroy expedition in Viet Nam Milton's group (plantation 3d of company 2d) was attacked with heavy air fire. Milton's group scattered in different directions spreading throughout the jungle leaving Milton with four other soldiers. As Milton and the four soldiers ran through the jungle a grenade landed in front of them blocking their path. Milton feeling proud, brave, giving, daring, sad, happy, and hopeful all at the same time decided to dive on the grenade. As the other four soldiers watched in fear of death, Milton dove on the grenade. Milton took a last glance at life and at the soldiers as if to say, farewell and good luck. And then, the grenade went off. The soldiers watched in terror, and thankfulness as Milton was bombed. The soldiers weren't harmed for Milton had shielded the blast. Milton was those soldiers' hero. Milton's family received the medal of honor in recognition of Milton's courageous act of hero like bravery. Milton is a hero because he killed himself to save others. Not because he liked them. Not because he loved and cared for them. Not because they were his race, but because he chose to. This timelessness hero will never die. Now you can visit Olive Park, a beautiful park in Chicago by Navy Pier. This park is dedicated after Milton. There is only one last word to say about Milton, hero.

Stacy from Flagstaff,   - 5/21/2002 at 12:09:00 PM.
My hero is: Isaac Rosenberg. He was a great poet who died while fighting in France during World War I. There is a great story about him here.

Gene & Carol Sander from ,  USA- 4/4/2002 at 3:06:00 PM.
My hero is: Sergeant Bobby Hoops. On Sunday the 10th day of March at approximately 12:30 my husband and myself were on our way back from church. We were traveling from Tyler, Texas to Athens on State Hwy 31. We were keeping up with traffic. We had traffic to the front and rear of us and had oncoming traffic in the far lane of the divided hwy we were traveling. The cars that were traveling in the front of us were slowing and swerving. They were avoiding hitting a woman that was on the side of the road trying to flag them down. The car directly in front of us stopped suddenly. Before we could stop completely and put on our hazard signals, the young man that was in this car to our front, had jumped from his car and ran to the woman. The woman pointed and without hesitating, the young man pulled off his shoes and jumped over the guard rail. This guard rail was on a bridge about ten feet about the water. It seems that the woman had stopped with her son to look at some people fishing in boats when the boy fell over the rail into the ice cold water. This young man (Bobby) fought to keep the boys head above the water. At times Bobby disappeared, but he kept the boys head above the water. When he got the boy (Mike) to the shore, which was about 30 feet away, Bobby helped us get Mike from the water. Bobby seemed too weak to get out of the water on his own and was helped by my husband. Bobby ran to the Mike, who was being held by his mother and asked if he had hit the water head first. The mother said it happened too fast to notice. Bobby spoke to Mike who was conscious and asked him if he was hurting anywhere. Mike said he was cold and had a bad headache. Bobby explained to Mike that he may have the same bad headache which may be a result on the extremely cold water. Bobby told the mother to run to her car and start it and turn the heater to high. Bobby told my husband to run to his car (Bobby's) and get a towel and black coat from the trunk. Bobby removed his shirt and then asked me for my jacket. I, hesitated but thought how cold he must be. The jacket was not used for himself, Bobby took my jacket and laid it on the ground and asked the boy to lay down. After laying Mike down, Bobby seemed to be inspecting Mike for injuries. He was firm and polite. He introduced himself as Bobby Hoops, a soldier from Fort Hood, and that he was going to take care of Mike. Bobby told Mike that he would have to take his close off so he could get him dry and warm. Mike didn't seem to have the strength and Bobby wasted no time stripping Mikes clothes from him. Bobby finished undressing Mike just as my husband and Mike's mom returned. Bobby dried the boy and wrapped him a long black over coat. Bobby made the child smile when he said he was dressed like a streakier. Bobby told Mikes mom that Mike should be looked at by a doctor to avoid shock, hypothermia and pneumonia. Bobby reassured the mother that Mike would be ok, but needed to get warmed up and checked out and that time was critical. Bobby ran with Mike in his arms over to the mothers running vehicle and placed him in the car. The mother said nothing as she jumped in her car and speeded off. We asked Bobby if he was ok? He said "yes, now". We don't know if Bobby was referring to the child being ok, or that it was all over. My husband I agree that we think that he was ok now because he stopped and helped when others didn't and that if he didn't stop he wouldn't be ok. Bobby said that he would change clothes and that he would be home in a short while. Just as quickly as it began, it ended. I don't now what we witnessed today. I think I witnessed a miracle. The events of today have left a lasting impression on us and how we perceive things. I don't know if what Bobby did was instinctive because of some training the Army offers, of if he was a special angel, or a hero. All we do know is that no one will ever know what the outcome could have been for little Mike if Bobby had not stopped. We called the local hospitals and the child was not admitted and must be ok. As for the soldier, we had no information on Bobby Hoops from Fort Hood, Texas except a vehicle description. We contacted the Fort Hood Commanding General and requested maybe he could have a little better luck in finding if the soldier is all right and thanking him for making the world a better place. and he found the soldier for us. It took about a week but we learned that Bobby is Sergeant Bobby Hoops from Killeen, Texas. He was in the 4th Infantry Division and served in the Division Support Command at Fort Hood, Texas. We were out of town on business, but there is a lot more to this story. Kevin J. Dwyer, a reporter for The Killeen Daily Herald outside of Fort Hood. You can e-mail us or contact Kevin at kjdwyer@kdhnews.com Thank you again for allowing us to share our hero with everyone. Gene & Carol Sander

sherri from Peoria, ILLINOIS u.s.- 10/2/2001.
My hero is: Marshall Grissom. Marshall Grissom is my Grandfather. He was not in my life until recently, but I have found that he has led both an interesting and exciting life. He fought in all the wars from the 1940's to the late 1950's. He fought for my freedom and received purple hearts and high awards while he was in the navy. He was even present during the Pearl Harbor bombings. He is my hero because he is a war hero, but mostly he is my hero because he is my Grandfather.

Stephen Shields from Little Rock, AR USA- 9/24/2001 at 11:38:00 AM.
My hero is: General Patton. Patton is my hero, because he was the embodiement of the warrior spirit. He was intelligent, and studied well the strategies of his opponents. When it came to the armored battlefield, there was no greater commander than Patton. Thanks to his brilliant leadership, Allied forces were able to desimate the Axis forces; forcing them to flee in fright and horror from the carnage and destruction they faced at the hands of Patton's forces. While the Axis tanks and equipment were far superior to the tanks and equipment of the Allied forces, the Axis forces lacked the leadership and strategic planning skills of Patton. With inferior equipment, Patton was able to motivate his forces into a highly effective fighting force, capable of killing and destroying the enemy forces against all odds. By killing the Nazi foes, and destroying their ability to wage war on the rest of the world, Patton, and the brave men he commanded, were able to rid the world of the threat of Nazism.

Grady E. Burchett from Greenville, SOUTH CAROLINA USA- 9/11/2001 at 10:24:00 PM.
My hero is: Bob Noah, Sr.. As I sit and think back over my life, I am drawn to think of only one person who had all of the qualities of a real hero. He was my childhood friend’s father. As a soldier during World War II, he was captured along with several of his buddies and housed in a POW camp in the “boot heel” of Italy. As the days wore on, the weather and conditions took their toll on the prisoners… nearly starved and frostbitten from the extreme weather, Bob Noah and three others escaped into the Italian countryside. Unarmed, with no resources, and “on their own”, they made their way north toward the Alps. Halfway through the country, an incident near some German soldiers caused the group to split up, and Bob took one man with him. Sleeping under haystacks, in pig styes, and under houses, Bob and his friend made their way north until they crossed the Alps into Switzerland. Once there, they were re-united with the American army and Bob’s friend could have the medical attention he needed for his frostbitten feet. Both men made it back home safely… but not in the best of health. As the years passed, Bob’s friend was put into the veteran’s hospital in North Carolina, where Bob would visit him quite often until his death. The mental strain had been great on Bob’s friend, and when he saw Bob, tears would well up in his eyes as he thought of what they had endured. Under normal circumstances, it would sound like any two buddies who had met and gone through the war together, remaining friends until the end… but this story was different. Bob’s friend’s feet were so severely frostbitten in the POW camp, that Bob carried him on his back when they escaped. While the group was together, they took turns carrying him… but when the incident with the Germans caused the group to split up, Bob Noah took his friend on his back and carried him single-handedly on his back halfway across Italy and across the Alps into Switzerland to safety. He never asked for thanks. He never spoke of the incident, and he faithfully visited his friend until the end. Heros do things like that…

Lindsey from ,   - 3/22/2001 at 4:30:00 PM.
My hero is: Clara Barton. Clara Barton is my Hero because she helped soldiers and because she did a great thing with the red cross.

edmund from toronto, ONTARIO canada- 3/15/2001 at 10:31:00 AM.
My hero is: canadian war heroe bobby jones. he was a native indian from manitoba

Jillian Truair from ,   - 7/8/2000 at 7:33:00 AM.
My hero is:

Patriotism

. Dear family and friends, A dear friend of mine sent this message to me today and I want to share it with you. With the 4th of July upon us I thought you'd find this quite interesting. Author Unknown: Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence? Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died. Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured. Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War. They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor. What kind of men were they? Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated. But they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured. Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags. Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and poverty was his reward. Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton. At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson Jr, noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt. Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months. John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished. A few weeks later he died from exhaustion and a broken heart. Norris and Livingston suffered similar fates. Such were the stories and sacrifices of the American Revolution. These were not wild-eyed, rabble-rousing ruffians. They were soft-spoken men of means and education. They had security, but they valued liberty more. Standing tall, straight, and unwavering, they pledged: "For the support of this declaration, with firm reliance on the protection of the divine providence, we mutually pledge to each other, our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor." They gave you and me a free and independent America. The history books never told you a lot about what happened in the Revolutionary War. We didn't fight just the British. We were British subjects at that time and we fought our own government! Some of us take these liberties so much for granted, but we shouldn't. So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid. Remember: FREEDOM is never FREE! Patriotism is NOT a sin, and the Fourth of July has more to it than beer, picnics, and baseball games.

More Guestbook Entries

©2013 The My Hero Project, Inc. All rights reserved. Technical errors or questions? support@myheroproject.org

.