FAMILY HERO:
JIM COPLIN
by Shauna from Encino

My hero, my friend. It wasnít too long ago that I started working at my job, constantly meeting new people, learning who my true friends were and whom I could trust. When I met Jim and started talking to him, we had an immediate connection. He was ultra-friendly and caring to anyone who walked in his path. When I started getting to know Jim, I discovered how truly dedicated, hardworking, ambitious, and friendly he was.

Our upbringings were very different, but we are both interesting in our own way. With him being older than I, heís taught me a lot, but not necessarily through lessons. To me, itís the way he lives his life and looks at situations. Itís how he does things to make himself happy and not to please others. Heís worked different jobs, lived in different places, all searching for the place where he feels happiest. Heís constantly having fun, trying new things, and yet is still so goal-oriented. He is my hero.

With working two jobs, he continues to find time for friends and family. While religiously exercising (biking, hiking, and surfing), he keeps his mind and body healthy. At the age of two, Jim lost his father to a motorcycle accident. He was brought up by a single parent (his mom). Heís always been brave, especially when he started living on his own, at the age of sixteen, and hasnít stopped challenging himself with everything he does.

I look at Jim with such respect and admiration. He has picked jobs that make him happy and fit his personality; he doesnít do it just for the money. He lives comfortably, and thatís all he needs. He has such great morals and never expects anything in return. I just hope one day I can look at life in the same way. I hope one day I can bring out the best in people and truly do everything for myself to make me happy.

Thereís no one definition of a hero, but itís definitely someone with the same characteristics as my friend. A hero doesnít have to be famous or known for doing something amazing. A hero can be someone who makes an impact on someoneís life, helps unconsciously, or does little mitzvahs daily. Itís someone who can turn bad days into something worth living for. Itís someoneís traits or characteristics. Itís my friend Jim.

Written by Shauna from Encino

More Featured Family Heroes

More Featured Other Heroes

.