Denton A. Cooley

by Alyssa from USA

A hero is someone you look up to; who you think did something amazing. My hero is “the most valuable surgeon of the heart and blood vessel anywhere in the world.” His name is Denton A. Cooley. Denton Cooley has done a lot of things in his life, and he saved many lives.

Denton Cooley was born and grew up in Houston, Texas. He always dreamed of joining his father as a dentist. Denton was always shy and insecure, but he eventually gained confidence by high school. Denton then went to Gavelston, Texas and then to Baltimore, Maryland. After all his hard work, he finally became a surgeon, and in 1944 he performed his first operation.

Denton Cooley accomplished many things in his life. He majored in zoology, went to Texas College of Medicine, and transferred to John Hopkins. Denton also went to the Army Medical Corps and he was a professor at Baylor University. He is a well educated and intelligent person. He also helped and funded the Texas Heart Institute. Denton knew what he wanted to be when he was young. He was very interested in joining his father’s dental practice. Afterwards, he took a few pre-med courses, and he was very fascinated by surgery.

Denton Cooley is very determined, and has done many amazing deeds, but it doesn’t stop there. In one year, Denton performed twenty-two heart transplants. If you think that’s amazing, he performed twenty-five open-heart surgeries in one day. In 1967, Denton was awarded the Renee Lebiche Prize. By 1972, he did over 1200 bypasses and 10,000 open-heart operations. Denton Cooley has performed more open-heart surgeries than any other surgeon in the world.

Denton Cooley is a hero to me because he was very determined throughout his life. He knew what he wanted to do and he tried very hard to accomplish it. Denton A. Cooley has inspired me to never give up and follow my dreams no matter how hard they may be. He is very hard-working, and is a role model. He has done some amazing deeds.