Laguna Beach Community Foundation grants are making a difference to our local non-profits

Laguna Beach Community Foundation grants are making a difference to out local non-profits

LBHS Scholarship Foundation

The Laguna Beach High School Scholarship Foundation was awarded a $2000 grant from the Laguna Beach Community Foundation. Grant funding will help offset operating costs as LBHSSF explores a transition into an independent charitable organization.

LBHSSF is working to establish a new legal entity and implement procedures to ensure current and future compliance with all legal, regulatory, administrative, and accounting requirements. LBHSSF is run by a volunteer group of approximately 35 trustees, all are members of the local community.

Scholarships are awarded to Laguna Beach High School seniors each year at the LBHS Honors Convocation. LBHS Class of 2013 was invited to apply for a variety of scholarships in January. All applications were submitted March 1 with a record number of applicants.

This year’s Honor Convocation will be on Friday, June 7 at the Artists Theater.

The Laguna Playhouse

The Laguna Playhouse has received a $3,000 grant from the Laguna Beach Community Foundation to support the Playhouse’ expanded role to make the Moulton Theatre -- and theatre services -- available to other Laguna Beach non-profit performing arts organizations.

“Over the last several years, our Board of Trustees has placed an emphasis on expanding our role in the Laguna Beach performing arts community,” said Karen Wood, Executive Director of the 92-year-old institution.  “We are delighted to serve as an intimate center for performing arts presentations in Laguna Beach.  The variety enriches us all.”

In order for the Playhouse to make their venue available for such opportunities as the Laguna Beach Dance Festival, the Laguna Beach Music Festival, concerts by the Laguna Beach Community Band - and presentations by others – the Playhouse must remain ‘dark’ on certain dates, meaning the Playhouse would not be offering their own performances, nor charging for tickets, to benefit the Playhouse on those nights.  The Laguna Beach Community Foundation is helping the Playhouse to fill the gap.

“All exposure to the Laguna Playhouse as a result of the variety of performing arts presentations results in a ‘good thing’ for the Playhouse,” added Wood.

Glennwood Housing Foundation

Glennwood Housing Foundation’s mission is to provide a loving and unique housing community that will enhance the quality of lives for 50 young adults with developmental disabilities. A $5000 grant provided by Laguna Beach Community Foundation in partnership with Massen Greene Foundation was awarded in 2012 to provide landscaping and organic and occupational gardens to the project. This award will be maintained in the LBCF/ Glennwood House Fund specifically to be used for the purposes of landscaping and organic and occupational gardens.

The Glennwood House program progress can be viewed at www.GlennwoodHousing.org.

Glennwood House of Laguna Beach is working with Transition Laguna and Bluebird Farms to create the on-site organic gardens and job opportunities at the farm. Christian Macke and his associates at Transition Laguna have come up with a plan for organic gardens to be planted, maintained and harvested by the future residents. The funds from Massen Greene Foundation will help to purchase the plants for this garden project as well as the landscape plants for the property surrounding and in between the buildings. Gardens will be installed in April and May.

The facility hopes to open by June.

Glennwood received $5,000 in 2011 for their Capital Campaign construction. This amount was placed in the LBCF/Glennwood House Fund and distributed to Glennwood for construction.

The MY HERO Project

The Laguna Beach Community Foundation in partnership with the Massen Greene Foundation has awarded The MY HERO Project a $10,000 grant for a media arts mentoring program. Funds from the grant are being used to mentor and provide training and access to video recording equipment and computer editing tools to those interested in creating media celebrating local heroes.

Those interested in taking part in this ongoing program should contact Wendy Milette via email. [email protected]

Elena Mendoza and Wendy Milette with Boys & Girls Club participants

Fernando Alonso is a fifth grade student from the Laguna Beach Boys and Girls Club. Fernando, among other eager students, is taking part in the MY HERO mentoring program learning how to use video cameras, conduct interviews and make photomontages as part of a Hero movie about the Laguna Beach Boys and Girls Club as part of this grant.

Together with a group of young filmmakers Fernando is working with Wendy Milette, Director of MY HERO’s Media Arts Education Program. Wendy is a graduate from USC Film School and director of this program.

March 29th, 2013
Stu News Laguna