COMMUNITY HERO:
THE VH1 SAVE THE MUSIC FOUNDATION
by Libby from Fort Wayne

VH1 Save the Music Foundation
http://www.vh1savethemusic.com/

Youíre kicking the soccer ball down the field. Youíre unstoppable, about five paces ahead of everyone else and thereís no way you wonít make this goal. Then all of a sudden you trip, and that winning goal doesnít seem as close as it did just an instant before. Now imagine that soccer ball is a saxophone, and instead of kicking it, youíre holding it. Youíre playing the best youíve ever played and youíre pretty sure that youíre ready to audition for the top band at your school. Then you hear that the music program is failing, and there might not even be one the next year. This is just like tripping and missing the goal, except itís a really big fall and youíll never get to see the goal again.

This is going to happen to many students in the United States if we donít get more people involved in saving the music programs. Many schools canít afford music instruments, so if students canít afford them, theyíll never have the chance to experience music the way they should. Music should be something that is available for everyone, and there is one organization that stands out in making that happen.

The VH1 Save The Music Foundation is an organization that not only promotes saving music, but has donated over $40 million to schools across the United States. Theyíve sent this $40 million to about 1,600 schools, and if you do the math, thatís about $25,000 for each school. So, for example, a new alto saxophone, at its cheapest, would cost somewhere around $700. That means that VH1 could buy a school about 35 new instruments for students to use. That also means that 56,000 students across the U.S. get the chance to be involved in the music programs at their school. Thatís a true hero to me.

Music has been a part of my life ever since I can remember. Iíve always loved to sing and dance, and being able to do these things at school has kept me on track. Iím constantly thinking about how I need to keep my grades up so I can stay in show choir. I wouldnít be as motivated to do well in school if I didnít have something as a reward for it.

For me, school isnít just a piece of cake. Iím not the smartest in my class or the student that people go to for help, but I do keep my grades up. And while Iím a very motivated person, show choir is a big help. I canít even imagine where I would be without the music program at my school.

I went to an arts elementary and middle school, and I canít even begin to tell you how many people got into band and choir. Itís not only fun, it keeps students out of trouble because it gives them something to do. Also, it gives students something to look forward to during the school day.

I canít say that Fort Wayne is losing their music programs just yet, but it might in the future. Being involved in music in schools seems to be something that people are very passive about. We need to start promoting music in schools or itís eventually going to die. Music is such a big part of some peopleís lives, including mine, and if someone doesnít get to experience a music program like I have, they wonít ever truly have the opportunity to love music.

Written by Libby from Fort Wayne

VH1 Save the Music Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to restoring instrumental music education in American public schools, and raising awareness about the importance of music as part of each child's complete education.

More Featured Community Heroes

.