Duke Kahanamoku

by Kainoa from Pukalani, Hawaii

Stamp Image of Duke Kahanamoku
Stamp Image of Duke Kahanamoku

Duke "Paoa" Kahanamoku is the "father of surfing," a Hawaiian legend, and an Olympic gold medalist in swimming. He is also my hero. Hawaii's Duke Kahanamoku is singularly recognized for popularizing surfing world-wide during the 1920s. Spring-boarding off his 1912 and 1920 Olympic swimming fame, the record-breaking champion brought his 10' redwood plank (surfboard) with him wherever he went including the Olympics where he swam. Duke wasn't only a very good athlete, but he also showed his humility, Aloha, and great sportsmanship wherever he went. So Duke to me is not only a hero but he is a special person who gave back to the Hawaiians and showed that he was a great ambassador of Hawaii.

Duke Kahanamoku was known as "the father of surfing" and now he is a legend all around the world. Duke started off with a redwood board (10’). Duke not only surfed, but in 1912 he won a gold medal in the Olympics for swimming the 100 meter free style and won silver in the 200 meter relay. He won the 100 yard free style in the national indoor championship. He was the national outdoor champion in the 100 meter finals in 1916, 1917 and 1920. He won two gold medals in the 1920s; in the 100 meter freestyle and the 4 by 200 meter relay. He set the world record in the 100 meter with 1:00.4 and this took place on his birthday (August 24, 1890). In 1924 he received a silver medal in the 100 meter and his brother got a bronze medal.

Statue of Duke
Statue of Duke

Duke lived in downtown Honolulu his whole life and became a beach boy at Waikiki. Today, there is a statue at Waikiki of the Duke. He will always be remembered at the shores of Waikiki for being a beach boy and a surfer. So Duke doesn't only live in Waikiki but his soul will live throughout the heart of Oahu (Honolulu).

Duke Kahanamoku and the Queen Mother of England Dance the Hula

Duke "Paoa" Kihinu Mokoe Hulikohola Kahanamoku lived from August 24, 1890 to January 22, 1968. Duke didn’t just live those years to the fullest, he made history and became an ambassador of Hawaii. When he passed on, he left a whole new world for those to come into the sport of surfing. He will always be a hero for Hawaii and will always be known as "the father of surfing".

Duke is not only a hero to me but he is special to me because he gave back to the Hawaiians, and that’s what I hope to do in the future. Whether it's through sports or giving back to the community, I will try one way to give back to the Hawaiians. Duke showed the love for the sport of surfing and love for Hawaii. If it weren’t for Duke, nobody would even look at the Hawaiians back then. So one day I hope that I can be a legend for Hawaii like Duke was. Duke is my hero and he is a legend of Hawaii.

Biography of Duke Kahanamoku - from Surf line
DUKE KAHANAMOKU - Honolulu Goverment website
Outrigger Duke Kahanamoku Foundation: - click on the video for "Memories of Duke"
"One is Catching a Tube": - discover royal surfing history in Brighton, England museum archives.