Mia Hamm

by Rachel from Columbus

"The mighty Oak was once a little nut that stood its ground."
Mia Hamm dribbles the soccer ball. (www.images.google.com)

Mia Hamm is one of my heroes. She has overcome many obstacles in her life. She is a short soccer player, like me. She is also a very determined person. I am, too.

Mariel Margaret Hamm was born on March 17, 1972 in Selma, AL. Her dad was in the military and her mom was a ballet teacher. She also had two brothers and three sisters. Because her dad served in the military, Mia had to move homes often. When Mia was about three years old, she moved to Florence, Italy. This was when she was first introduced to soccer. Her brothers joined a team, and she wanted to also. But, her mom wanted her to take up ballet lessons. Mia said no to ballet and her mom realized that soccer was all she wanted. So, she played soccer with boys and many older people.

When her family finally moved back to the United States, Mia still wanted to play soccer. Soccer wasn’t very popular in the U.S. then so her family started a soccer club and many people joined. This was where Mia learned a lot about soccer. As she kept on growing, so did her love of soccer. She even played at North Carolina College.

At the age of 15, she was the youngest female player to play on a National Team. Playing with a lot of kids that were older than her didn’t really bother her. She fit right in, even though she was the shortest one out there. She also was one of the best players throughout her career so she helped out her own team a lot. She even won a ton of awards for sportsmanship, goals scored, MVP, leadership, assists, and many more reasons.

Mia Hamm has inspired me because she is a short soccer player with a great attitude. She also had great determination. I am short, just like her, and I want to be a leader like her. She was one of the youngest professional soccer players. Maybe when I get a little bit older, I can join a professional team, too.

In conclusion, Mia Hamm is a great role model. She is a very talented soccer player. I would really like to be able to have people look up to me like I look up to her. It would feel great! I hope you found Mia Hamm a great player, too.