Wednesday, June 29th, 2011
Associated Press

MYANMAR WARNS SUU KYI HER TOUR COULD TRIGGER RIOTS
by Matthew Pennington
Associated Press

Myanmar's democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi leaves her National League for Democracy Party headquarters on Wednesday, June 29, 2011, in Yangon, Myanmar. Myanmar's state media warned the pro-democracy leader on Wednesday that her plans to travel outside Yangon to meet supporters could trigger riots. A commentary in the state-run New Light of Myanmar newspaper also drew attention to the status of her National League for Democracy, which was deregistered as a party last year by the government but still operates as a nationwide organization. (AP Photo/Khin Maung Win)

YANGON, Myanmar (AP) — Myanmar's state media warned pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi on Wednesday that her planned tour to meet supporters outside Yangon could trigger riots.

The commentary published in all three state-run daily newspapers said the government would not stop Suu Kyi but appeared to reflect government anxiety over her plans. The state press serves as a mouthpiece for the government, which otherwise makes few public announcements.

Suu Kyi drew large crowds when she last traveled in the countryside in 2003, and her popularity badly rattled the then-military government. Supporters of the junta ambushed her entourage in northern Myanmar, killing several of her followers. She escaped but was detained. The army denied suspicions it organized the attack.

Nobel Peace Prize laureate Suu Kyi, detained for much of the last two decades, was released from house arrest last November after Myanmar held general elections that her party, the National League for Democracy, boycotted.

"We are deeply concerned that if Daw Aung San Suu Kyi makes trips to countryside regions, there may be chaos and riots, as evidenced by previous incidents," the commentary said. "The government has said that Daw Aung San Suu Kyi is just an ordinary public member, so it will not restrict her from traveling and doing things in accordance with the law, but she shall honor the laws for the rule of law." Daw is an honorific used for older women.

Myanmar's democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi speaks to reporters at her National League for Democracy Party headquarters on Wednesday, June 29, 2011, in Yangon, Myanmar. Myanmar's state media warned the pro-democracy leader on Wednesday that her plans to travel outside Yangon to meet supporters could trigger riots. A commentary in the state-run New Light of Myanmar newspaper also drew attention to the status of her National League for Democracy, which was deregistered as a party last year by the government but still operates as a nationwide organization. (AP Photo/Khin Maung Win)

Suu Kyi told reporters at her party headquarters Wednesday she hasn't decided when she would travel or other details and said she was unmoved by the media commentary.

"If they are concerned, they should also cooperate with us," Suu Kyi said.

Tin Myint, a member of the National League for Democracy, said the commentary indicates the government is afraid of Suu Kyi's popularity.

"We are even more worried about the security of Daw Suu because of the government warning," he said. Some party members fear the government will close party offices, especially outside Yangon, because the commentary indicated it had a legal basis to do so.

Critics of the new nominally civilian government say its commitment to reform will be judged partly on whether it allows her freedom of movement. U.S. Sen. John McCain said earlier this month that he raised the issue of Suu Kyi's safety during a meeting with senior Myanmar government officials.

The New Light of Myanmar newspaper also drew attention to the status of her party, which was deregistered due to its election boycott but still operates as a social organization.

The commentary chastised its boycott and accused the party of "trying to politically test the patience of the government that shows its benevolent attitude by not taking action against it."

The party contends its deregistration by the government was illegal, but a lawsuit seeking reinstatement was dismissed.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press.

Written by Matthew Pennington
Associated Press
Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten , or redistributed.

Photos courtesy of Associated Press
Images created by Khin Maung Win

My Hero Project - Aung San Suu Kyi About her life

My Hero Project - Sculpture of Aung San Suu Kyi Sculpture by artist Jim McNalis

My Hero Project - Art of Aung San Suu Kyi Image by Shepard Fairey

My Hero Project - AP Story on Aung San Suu Kyi Regarding her release from house arrest after 7 years

My Hero Project - Myanmar's First Ballot in 20 Years Orchestrated by Ruling Generals Regarding the political state of Myanmar

More Featured Freedom Heroes

More Featured Women Heroes

.