Guide Dogs

by Casey from USA

My hero is the organization “Guide Dogs for the Blind.” The organization began in 1942 and is still running today. They service people who are blind in the United States and Canada.

In 1942, Lois Merrihew and Don Donaldson volunteered their time to train guide dogs. They started this because when soldiers returned from WWII, some lost their eye sight due to injury. The organization was founded.

The organization is a nonprofit organization which means they service for no money. The organization is nonprofit because of generous people and their donations. Also, unpaid volunteers help out. They provide more than 10,000 dogs to people who have lost their vision.

The organization helps visually impaired people. Their mission is to provide the guide and the training to the dog and the visually impaired person. They also provide training, a room, and transportation for the visually impaired person. It is completely free of charge. The training teaches the person and the dog to get to know each other. They teach the person the commands and how to handle the dog. It helps the dog know its owner.

The organization of “Guide Dogs for the Blind” is a hero to me. The organization helps our country. The volunteers are generous, trustworthy, and compassionate. They show love to both visually impaired people and to the guide dogs.

Unknown. "Freedom Guide Dogs." [Online] Available www.freedomguidedogs.com.

Unknown. "Guide Dogs for the Blind ." [Online] Available www.guidedogs.com.

Unknown. "The Life of a Guide Dog." [Online] Available http://www.guidedogs.org.uk/.