Press_Release

My Hero Announces 2016 Art Honorees And Spotlight Art Awards

CONTACT: Wendy Milette FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 
[email protected]
949-376-5964

MY HERO ANNOUNCES 2016 ART HONOREES AND SPOTLIGHT ART AWARDS

SANTA MONICA, CA - 12/01/16 - The My Hero Gallery announced that Fatima Bindi Diallo, St George Thompson and K E Harleston have won the 2nd Annual My Hero Art Honorees Award for portraying their heroes in beautiful portraits. These works of art are rendered beautifully and successfully demonstrate the sitters' heroic qualities

Thompson’s work features United States Congressman and Civil Rights Leader John Lewis. The portrait bridges his past and his present; his past, looking downward, wearing a bandage form the conflict, the present, looking upward, toward the future. A quote by Lewis, punctuates the piece.
Walk In My Shoes by St. George Thompson
Walk In My Shoes by St. George Thompson
Harleston’s hero portrait was of Winono LaDuke, a Native American enonomist, environmentalist and author who serves as executive director of Honor The Earth, a non-profit organization designed to raise awareness and garner financial support for environmental justice for indigenous people. Beneath her image are the words:

“Honor the Earth.”
A portrait of Winona LaDuke by K.E. Harleston
Diallo’s work is a portrait of the artist’s mother, a beautiful woman with bold features, wearing a white head-wrap and a gold dress. Next to her are the words:

“My Mom My Hero”
A portrait of her mother by Fatima Bindi Diallo
In addition, the My Hero Gallery recognized the ongoing contributions of the Art Miles Mural Project by conferring upon its founder Joanne Tawfilis and Pakistani educator and artist Fauzia Minallah the 2016 My Hero Spotlight Art Award. Artist and community activist Marilyn Huerta was also selected to receive the 2016 Spotlight Art Award. All three of these artists are committed to using their talents to promote peace, tolerance and social justice.

The My Hero Gallery www.myhero.com/gallery is a virtual exhibition space dedicated to the significant role that art, the universal language, can play to communicate humanitarian values throughout the world over.

The MY HERO Project is a 501(c)3 organization dedicated to sharing stories of heroes from all parts of the world. MY HERO's award winning web site (www.myhero.com) hosts the world's largest archive of hero themed stories, music, art and short films.