Alexander Fleming

by Tijana

Alexander Fleming changed the world. His discovery of penicillin saved many sick people. He demonstrates a lot of good character traits. Like smart, lifesaver, brave and caring. He was caring because he took the time to create a pill. Smart because his plan worked and lifesaver because all of the sick people he treated after they tested and released the pill.

Alexander Fleming's birth date and birthplace was August 6, 1881 in Darvel, Scotland. He went to Darvel School and then moved to London and went to college at the Royal Polytechnic Institution. Later he went to St. Mary's Hospital Medical School. His college was in a hospital (St. Mary's Hospital). He had several siblings and a mother. His father died when Alexander was only 7 yrs old. On his breaks in college he would study more about the pill he was wanting to create!

Alexander's older brother, Thomas, influenced him to be a doctor.  An event that changed Alexander's life was when he found the good bacteria on his Petri dishes at the hospital. 

A very BIG achievement that Alexander Fleming has, is that he completed the pill and it worked! When the making of the pill was done Alexander named the pill "penicillin" and the pill was then sent off to American pharmacies. He saved many lives!!!

When Alexander first found the bacteria, he realized that almost everyone in his city was suffering. If it wasn't infection it was disease, and if it wasn't that then it was something worse. All his time and effort help these helpless people, he showed kindness and caring. I think of him as a brother I never had.

When I'm old enough to create a medicine to cure a disease like cancer I want to be like the next Alexander Fleming. When I was small I wanted to be like him. I used to pretend to make potions and call myself Alexander Fleming. I used to ask my parents if I could go visit him. I did not know he was a dead guy.

Alexander Fleming died on March 11, 1955. After his death Penicillin was still carried on. Penicillin is now the base of a lot of medicines. We changed third world countries because of penicillin and it's affordability. A 100 yrs later there"s a kid writing about him, hey that kid is me! That's why he's my hero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alexander Fleming - Alexander Fleming Discovers Penicillin
Alexander Fleming - Nobel Prize