Blake Griffin

by Quentin from San Diego

Lob City or also known as Blake Griffin a 3 year perennial NBA all-star, he is much more than an NBA basketball player he is a man who has fought threw challenges and turned them into positives. Blake Griffin lost a loved one in 2011 at first he was devastated, but he let it inspire him to change others life's. Blake has hosted many Charity events, has been blessed with being tremendously athletic, and even gives back to the community, he's my hero.

Blake Griffin has attended many events throughout his career such as dunk contests all star games but he hosts events all the time like Fund raisers for cancer. Blake's most recent Event was the Bowling down cancer charity event. "Blake Griffin will be hosting his 1st Annual Bowling Down Cancer Charity Event, benefiting the Wilson Holloway Scholarship Fund and Stand Up to Cancer."(NBA) Blake Griffin has participated in many charity events throughout his career, but he has never hosted his own, this is the first annual bowling down cancer event which is raising money for finding the cure to leukemia. This is a zero prophet organized event every dime and penny goes to the research to find cure for Hodgkin's Lymphoma . Blake Griffin is helping make a difference in the lives of people with cancer. This fundraiser is also tied to the Wilson Holloway Scholarship Fund. "The Wilson Holloway Scholarship Fund was created to honor Blake's close friend Wilson, who passed away from Hodgkin's Lymphoma in the Spring of 2011 after a three year, courageous battle. Wilson played both football and basketball at OCS High School in Edmond"(NBA) Blake lost his best friend to Hodgkin's Lymphoma in 2011 this is a big reason why Blake is hosting this event that and because he is generous, and accepts how hard it is for athletes who don't have the money to go to college for athletics being that he was in that position himself. Blake Griffin lost his best friend to Hodgkin's Lymphoma his name was Wilson Holloway He was a teammate of Griffins in high school they were best buds and it was one of the most influential things to happen in his life. Due to events in Blake Griffin's past he was inspired to help people that are in need, what Blake does helps save people's lives and return loved ones back to their families.

Blake Griffin is not only a very generous man he is also a very talented athlete. Blake Suffered from an injury his first year in the league. "Now that the Los Angeles Clippers' dynamic dunker has been named the league's top rookie in a landslide, he's already thinking about ways to improve on a delayed NBA debut that was well worth the wait."(Chad Bonham) Blake griffin suffered from an injury his first year, and wasn't able to play as much as he was needed. Last year he was awarded league's top rookie and this was coming off an injury, his ability to get above the rim has put him in two dunk all-star contests. Griffin was in the running for most valuable rookie in the league, he also averaged 20 points last season. In this year's playoffs the clippers had the edge on the Memphis grizzlies till one of their key players had an injury. "the Los Angeles Clippers aim to stave off elimination in Game 6 of the Western Conference Quarterfinals against the Memphis Grizzlies, All-Star forward Blake Griffin will play with a high ankle sprain, but won't start."(Chad Bonham). Blake is the key to the LA Clippers success, right now he is suffering from a high ankle sprain and is not playing to his full potential this is hurting the team. And letting Memphis get back in front. The clippers are now defenseless in the paint, the point is that one player alone can make or break a team like the loss of Blake Griffin on the Clippers. Blake Griffin is the reason for the clippers success and failure this past 4 years his inside game is so good and he is such an offensive threat that just his presence on the floor holds Memphis to 20 points in the paint compared to 30 that were scored when he did not participate in the 6th game of the run.

Blake Griffin puts a lot of his time into the community of LA and tries to help and give back where places need it. Despite his busy schedule he makes time for those who need it. "Being the hottest commodity in NBA All-Star weekend did not prevent Blake Griffin from giving back to the community. Even with his unprecedented busy schedule, the Clippers forward participated with fellow All-Star players, coaches, NBA and WNBA players and Legends, friends and guests in the NBA"(NBA Cares). Blake Griffin is a Rookie all star, and a NBA basketball player most of his time is put into the game and even though Blake griffin puts most of his time into his career, he also helps and provides for kids that are less privileged, to improve the city of Los Angeles's future. Blake has been known for his great attitude on and off the court, especially when he spends the little time he has with the local elementary school kids.. Dwayne wade who is close friends with Blake made a comment to the press at 42nd street elementary school, "The NBA is about more than just basketball. What bigger weekend than the All-Star weekend to come outside and leave a long lasting impression in this community," Heat All-Star guard Dwayne Wade said."(NBA Cares). Blake griffin, Dwayne Wade and many other all-stars helped these children and helped to improve/reconstruct their campus. Blake griffin should be shooting free throws, learning plays, or working on his post game on this all-star weekend instead he spends his time with young kids teaching them how to eat better and how to get their physical activity in fun ways. These actions illustrate how Blake griffin a big name, big money, all-star player spends his time and money with the youth of LA to make sure that they are healthy and retrieve their knowledge about eating right.

Blake Griffin was voted NBA's top rookie, but he should have been voted LA's top rookie. Not only is he bringing money, respect and talent to LA's beloved basketball team, but he's been teaching the youth of their society work ethics and good health habits, plus raising millions of dollars to cancer by hosting charity events. To me Blake Griffin isn't just some All-Star basketball player he should be the role model for everyone, to be unselfish, respectful, and drives for success every single day. He is the model for a smart successful American.

Work Consulted 

NBA Cares. "Blake to Host First Annual Bowling Down Cancer Charity Event." Blake to Host First Annual Bowling Down Cancer Charity Event. NBA, n.d. Web. 02 May 2013.

NBA. "Blake in the Community." Blake Griffin. NBA Cares, n.d. Web. 02 May 2013.

Lisa Dillman. "Sports Now." Blake Griffin Donating Kia to Benefit Charity. Los Angeles Times, n.d. Web. 02 May 2012.

NBA. "Blake Griffin Injury: Clippers Forward Will Play in Game 6, but Won't start."SBNation.com. Scott Coleman, n.d. Web. 07 May 2013.

Bill Bonham. "Inspiring Athletes." Inspiring Athletes. N.p., n.d. Web. 07 May 2013.

"NBA All-Stars Show Caring side." ESPN.com. Romana Shelburne, n.d. Web. 07 May 2013.