Bobby Orr

by Aiden from Calgary

Everyone should have the same opportunity
Bobby Orr  Web (I made it)
Bobby Orr Web (I made it)

Bobby Orr’s full name is Robert Gordon Orr. This wonderful hockey player was born in Parry Sound, Ontario. The year he was born was 1948. Robert Gordon Orr acquired his first pair of skates when he was four years old. Bobby Orr would practice hour after hour on the Seguin River. Bobby Orr began playing organized hockey at the age of five. Robert Gordon Orr’s role model was Montreal Canadian defensemen Terry Harper. When Bobby Orr was in kindergarten he began playing in Parry Sound Minor Squirt Hockey League. When he was nine years old he won the M.V.P in the Pee-wee Division. Bobby Orr may have been smaller than all the boys but he knew he had the biggest heart.

Bobby Orr jersey
Bobby Orr jersey

Bobby Orr was first noticed by the Boston Bruins. When Bobby Orr was 14 the Boston Bruins made arrangements for him to play with the Oshawa Generals in the Metro Junior A League. When his junior career was over he was 17 years old 6 feet tall and almost 200 pounds. In his first NHL league game 18 year old Bobby Orr played against the Detroit Red Wings and Gordie Howe. He impressed everyone with his defensive abilities. He recorded his first point, an assist. In his first season he won the Calder Trophy as the best rookie and also made the NHL's Second All-Star Team. In his rookie season he hurt his left knee on a daring rush. Robert Gordon Orr accomplished his first Stanley Cup Win in 1970. This was the first Stanley Cup Win for the Bruins in 29 years. In 1972 Bobby Orr Won his second Stanley Cup and the Conn Smythe Trophy as the playoffs' most valuable player. For eight years straight Bobby Orr won the Norris Trophy as the best defenceman. As a defenceman he was considered a hockey star. He took defence to the next level. He worked very hard, never gave up and kept playing the sport he loved. Although he came from a small town called Parry Sound, Ontario, he was successful enough to play for the Boston Bruins, Chicago Blackhawks and the New York Rangers. He finished his career with the Boston Bruins.

Bobby Orr
Bobby Orr

Bobby Orr changed the sport with his scoring ability and playmaking from the blue line. He was the only defender to win two scoring titles. His career season high was 46 goals and 102 assists. Bobby Orr was the first hockey player to sign a million dollar deal. He would earn 200,000 dollars a year for five years. In 1976 Bobby Orr played in the Canada Cup. Due to more than six knee surgeries and incredible pain at the age of 30 years old, Bobby Orr retired. After he retired he became an assistant coach for the Blackhawks. In 1979 Bobby Orr was inducted into the Hockey Hall Of Fame.

Bobby Orr Portrait
Bobby Orr Portrait

Bobby Orr is a hero because he is a truly special athlete that changed the game of hockey. Despite being small when he was young he did not give up. Robert Gordon Orr did have a hero. He was Montreal Canadien defencemen Terry Harper. I chose Bobby Orr as my hero because he plays defence like me and he teaches kids like me that the game of hockey is not always about scoring a goal. You will get the same amout of points and you will have to work just as hard to make an assist. I also chose him because he would rather play as a team then an indvidual. I learned that even though you are small or tall you can still play the game and you should never give up. I also learned that even if you get a couple injuries you should not be scared of the game that you love.