February 23, 2017
Associated Press

BOUNCING BABY BONGO SHOWS
ITS STRIPES AT LOS ANGELES ZOO
by Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) A rare baby bongo has made its debut at the Los Angeles Zoo.

The unnamed male Eastern bongo, a type of antelope, was born at the zoo on Jan. 20.

It spent time bonding with its mother behind the scenes before being introduced to the public Thursday.

A male, Eastern bongo calf is gently pushed off a matt of fresh grass in his enclosure on the day of his debut at the Los Angeles Zoo on Thursday, Feb. 23, 2107. The unnamed male a type of antelope found in Kenya, was born at the zoo on Jan. 20. It spent time bonding with its mother behind the scenes before being introduced to the public on Thursday. (AP Photo/Richard Vogel)

At birth, the chestnut red calf with white stripes stood just under 2 feet tall. It weighed 55 pounds and had ears 6 inches long.

Its parents are 5-year-old first-time mother, Rizzo, and 7-year-old father, Asa.

A male, Eastern bongo calf feeds from his mother on the day of his debut at the Los Angeles Zoo on Thursday, Feb. 23, 2107. The unnamed male a type of antelope found in Kenya, was born at the zoo on Jan. 20. It spent time bonding with its mother behind the scenes before being introduced to the public on Thursday. (AP Photo/Richard Vogel)

It was the first bongo birth in more than 20 years at the Los Angeles Zoo.

The zoo says logging and poaching in the wild has caused the species' numbers to dwindle to fewer than 100. The animal is found in Kenya.

A male, Eastern bongo calf mingles in his enclosure on the day of his debut at the Los Angeles Zoo on Thursday, Feb. 23, 2107. The unnamed male a type of antelope found in Kenya, was born at the zoo on Jan. 20. It spent time bonding with its mother behind the scenes before being introduced to the public on Thursday. (AP Photo/Richard Vogel)

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. 
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Written by Associated Press
Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten , or redistributed.

Last changed on: 2/24/2017 11:29:47 AM

Read about a rare baby rhino at the Iowa Zoo