Christie Hust

by RaeLeigh from Wolfforth, Texas

Christie Hust (www.ttuhsc.edu ())
Christie Hust (www.ttuhsc.edu ())

Christie Hust is, at her worst, one of the most amazing women I have ever known. She is filled with strength and determination, but advocates for what she believes in. She has shaped me into the fine young lady I am today. Christie Hust is my mother. We don't always get along or see eye to eye, as all mothers and daughters understand, but I love her. She has shown me what it means to stand up for what I believe in, even when I am standing alone. And she has shown me what it looks like to overcome any barrier placed in my pathway. Christie Hust is my hero.

Logo for Girl Scouts of America (www.girlscouts.org ())

I began to see what a huge impact my mom was making on the world at a very young age. My brother joined Cub Scouts as a first grader. Naturally, his four year old sister tagged along to see what all the hubub was about. My mother and father never intended to get as involved as they did, but - as always - God had a different plan for them. They stepped into the troop, becoming a surrogate mother and father for all the boys. Then two years later I joined Girl Scouts. My mother, the natural leader that she is, stepped in and began leading us girls in our walks toward adulthood. My mother will probably never understand the extent to which she has touched peoples' lives. However, since I am a step back, I can see the bigger picture. I have life-long friends that I know will be there for me when I need them, because my family cared for them when they needed help. We have taken in students when their parents kicked them out of the house, and they began to see what family should look like through my mother's care and protection. She never let one of her many kids grow up without realizing, not only that they were loved, but that they were worth loving. She is a blessing to all who know her.

Christie Hust as she educates patients on diabetes (www.ttuhsc.edu ())

As if she hadn't already done enough, my mother began to work as a Diabetes Educator for the disadvantaged individuals of Lubbock - those people who didn't have healthcare, and didn't have the money to get it. She began work, not realizing the need. However, as she began to teach she realized the vastness of the people who needed her help. You see, she isn't a typical diabetes educator who weighs 110 pounds soaking wet and has never struggled with being overweight in her life. No, Christie has diabetes herself, so she can relate to her patients. She understands how hard it is to live with this disease, but also knows how to manage it and keep it under control without giving up your entire life. She teaches her patients practical ways to control their diabetes without giving up those foods that we all love so much. "Its not about what you eat, but how much and how often you eat it. Rather than not eating the Snickers, eat a quarter of it and save the rest for later." This is something Christie has often said to her patients with a sweet tooth. She understands the hardships of what she does, so she doesn't ask anything of her patients that she wouldn't do herself, making her more personable and realistic to work with.

(www.inmagine.com ())
(www.inmagine.com ())

Christie also works with the youth department at Broadview Baptist Church. Her husband, Randall Hust, is the associate pastor there, and both me and my brother are involved in the church life, from the praise band and children's ministry, to the youth group and college group. Oftentimes, my mother picks up the slack when no one else wants to do the job. She doesn't complain, but does the task to the best of her abilities with a smile on her face. She is a servant leader, one quality of hers that has transferred down to her children. More often than not, we are the first to arrive and the last to leave, we often joke that we might as well live at the church. Christie exhibits the love she has for the youth of Lubbock as she teaches Sunday School, attends small groups, and challenges us to view things from another point of view. She has helped the young men and ladies grow into the young adults God desires us to be.

Ray King (www.lubbockonline.com ())
Ray King (www.lubbockonline.com ())

February 24th, 2010 Christie's father, Ray King, died. it was a devastating moment for all of us, but especially for her. After all, nobody really wants to lose their dad at 40. However, my mom managed to struggle through it, to pull through the pain, and blaze a trail for her mother and sister to follow. She struggled to see God's plan in the midst of her father's death, perhaps she still does, but she has shown me what it means to mourn with joy and hope that the person lost is not really lost at all. As a matter of fact, the person who was considered lost is now truly home, in the midst of the heavenly host in the very presence of the Almighty God. She showed me how to be courageous in the midst of my pain and upset. And she showed me how to love my family above all else. It has now been almost two years since, and Christie has shown the people around her how to value their families and the people closest to them. She has opened many eyes.

In the past year Christie Hust has grown as a mother, a person, but most of all a Christian. She has learned new things and begun to embrace them. She has walked away from legalism and fear of God to a personal relationship with a loving God. She embodies the truth that one is never too old to learn new things. Through the past year, my life has undergone many changes, some of those are changes the people around me are not even aware of. I have become more confident, despite all the ups and downs I have experienced. All of that because my mother has encouraged and exhorted me through everything, telling me how beautiful I am or how intelligent I am. My mother has given me a new confidence in the person God has created me to be.

A special note to you Mom, as you read this. Thank you so much for all you have done for me and for the people around you. None of us could ever say how thankful we are for you. You are an angel. I admire you and adore you for your strength, compassion, and unending love. Even when I don't make the best decisions, you love me just the same. And I am so grateful for that. Thank you for all you have done for me. I have reached the point in my life where its time for me to start doing things for myself, but I will always remember the lessons I've learned from you. You have shaped me into a wonderful young lady. I love you so much. Merry Christmas, Mom. I hope the Christmas of 2011 is one you will remember forever. Thank you for being my Guardian Angel. I love you.