Drew Brees

by Dylan

"One for you, two for you, three, four some more, five, six for kicks, seven, eight it’s great, nine, ten again, again, again."
Drew Brees and his son
Drew Brees and his son

Drew Brees was born in 1979 in Austin, TX. His parents were Chip and Mina Brees and his brother was Reid. Drew Brees attended Westlake High School in Texas. He played football, baseball, and basketball. He led his football team in a 16-0 stretch and a 5A state championship. At Purdue University, Drew Brees was nominated for the Heisman twice. He led his football team to a big ten championship and a Rose Bowl appearance. Drew Bees was named “Academic all American Player of the Year.”

The Brees Dream Foundation is a foundation that helps underprivileged kids by rebuilding their communities. Drew Brees has a full city behind him ready to help him rebuild after terrible disasters. There are several programs that help the community. The foundation started in 2003 and already donated five million dollars to Cancer research. They started to rebuild schools, Parks, playgrounds, athletic fields and communities in New Orleans, San Diego, and Purdue West Lafayette. The foundation has many programs such as the Amazing Race around the French quarter. There are 30 teams of four people and each team donates 2,000 dollars. All the proceeds go to rebuilding New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Another program is called Rebuilding Brotherhood as contestants from around Canada and the U.S. join together to help to Drew Brees rebuild communities.

Another part of The Brees Dream Foundation donates money to help find cures for diseases and assist individuals who need medical help. Eighteen million dollars is going to hospitals all in the New Orleans. Most of the funds were donated to The New Orleans Outreach, Beacon of Hope, and New Orleans Child Care. Drew Brees supports all the branches of the U.S. military. Drew Received “The Board of Trustees award” and has Visited Afghanistan, Iraq, and Kuwait and motivates and support troops there.

Drew Brees inspires me because he does so much charity work and helps kids in need. All of the programs that he has created inspire me to want to do for others. He is an inspiration for others because so many people look up to him since he is a famous professional athlete. He has chosen to spend his time and his fame on making his community and the world a better place. You don’t have to be a fan of the Saints to like Drew Brees; you just have to be someone who wants to help others.

Pro Football awards

2010

• Super bowl XLIV

2009

• Pro bowl

• N.F.L Alumni Quarterback of the Year

• N.F.C Offense Player of the Year

• Maxwell Award-Player of the Year

2008

• Pro Bowl

• NFL Alumni Quarterback of the Year

• NFC Offensive Player of the Year

• Maxwell Award Player of the Year

2006

• N.F.L Alumni Quarterback of the year

• N.F.C Offensive Player of the Year

• All Pro Team

• Pro Bowl

2004

• Pro Bowl

• N.F.L Player of the Year

2000

• Finished third in Heisman voting

• Big Ten Player of the Year

• Maxwell Award – College Player of the Year

• Academic Player of the Year

1999

• Finished fourth in Heisman voting

1998

• Big Ten Player of the Year

1996

• Texas 9A Offensive Player of the Year

Charity awards

2009

• Henry P I.B.A Award- community service

2008

• Presented by the United States Congress for community service

• Pon Newcome-awarded for excellence in community service

2007

• Arthur Arkush Humanitarian of the Year award

2006

• N.F.L Walter Payton Man of the Year