Eva (Evita) Peron

by Jessica from Spokane

Eva
Eva

María Eva Ibarguren was born on May 7, 1919, in the province of Los Toldos on the outskirts of the Argentine pampas. Born to the mistress of a wealthy rancher, Eva spent most of her childhood drenched in the livelihood that she would later advocate known as the working class "descamisados" (the shirtless ones). Finally, at the age of fifteen, Eva was able to escape life on the grassy flatlands and travel to Buenos Aires to pursue her dream of becoming an actress.

Eva's beauty and natural acting ability landed her several roles in both the theater and on the radio during her first few years in Buenos Aires. However, it was not her career as an entertainer that allowed her to take residence within the hearts of the people of Argentina. It was her passionate love for the less-fortunate, her desire to make a difference, and her devotion to her husband and prominent political figure Juan Domingo Perón.

Eva and Juan Perón (www.biografiasyvidas.com)

Eva met Juan at a relief conference for earthquake victims in Buenos Aires in 1944. Two years later in 1946, Juan was elected President of the Republic of Argentina. Eva used her new status as First Lady to create the Perónist Women's Party as well as the Eva Perón Foundation amongst other humanitarian organizations. In 1949, Eva and her Perónist Women's Party monumentally changed history when they pushed for, and subsequently won, the women's right to vote in Argentina.

Eva speaks to her beloved
Eva speaks to her beloved

Eva's ability to connect with the lower classes in Argentina greatly influenced her husband's power in the government. While Juan stayed in the capital, Eva traveled the country making speeches; distributing food, clothes, and household goods to the needy; visiting the poor; building homes, hospitals, and schools; and rallying for higher wages for union workers. As a result, she earned the heartfelt nickname of "Evita" as she is most commonly remembered today. However, even though Evita found reputable favor amongst the "descamisados", her efforts also created for her many enemies amongst those of the higher social classes.

Evita Vive (www.photobucket.com)
Evita Vive (www.photobucket.com)

At the age of thirty-three, Evita fell victim to cancer. She died July 26, 1952, the same year that she was to run as Vice President of Argentina alongside her husband Juan. Near the end of her life, her efforts to help the less fortunate never decreased. She was an advocate social rights until the very end, as is evident in her autobiography "La Razon de mi Vida" where she states that "Time is my greatest enemy." Her only regret was that she did not have more time to do more for her country.

Eva "Evita" Perón is my hero because she was a woman who dedicated her life to helping those in need. She rose above tremendous obstacles that began early and continued throughout her short lifetime. Since the beginning, it appeared as though she was destined to fail. She was born into a poverish and illegitimate family and lived during a time when women had no rights. Yet, she persevered and overcame all social stigmas that confronted her and thus became the strongest, most revered woman in the history of South America. Stenciled graffiti images of Evita can still be found in the streets of Argentina as well shirts, posters, and other paraphernalia bearing her image. May we look to Evita not only as a reminder that it is our responsibility to care for each other, but also as proof that we have the ability to overcome all obstacles. Siempre Evita vive en nuestros corazones...

The Argentine Constitutional Revision of 1949 - This 17-page article discusses the influence of Evita's women's political party in the revision of the Constitution of 1949.
La Fundación de Eva Perón - A video about the Eva Perón Foundation with live clips and commentary in Castellano.

Ilsley, Lucretia . "The Argentine Constitutional Revision of 1949." [Online] Available www.JSTOR.com.

Montgomery, Paul. Eva, Evita: The Life and Death of Eva Perón. Pocket, 1979.

Perón, Eva . La Razon de mi Vida. Buenos Aires, Argentina: Ediciones de Peuser, 1951.

Cinergi Pic. Ent. . "Biography of Eva Perón." [Online] Available http://movies.uip.de/evita/eva/EvaBio.html.

Authors of Wikipedia. "Eva Perón." [Online] Available http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eva_Per%C3%B3n.