FAUZIA MINALLAH WINS MY HERO’S
STUDENT/MENTOR AWARD

CONTACT: WENDY MILETTE                     FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
media@myheroproject.org
949-376-5964

FAUZIA MINALLAH WINS MY HERO'S STUDENT/MENTOR AWARD 

SANTA MONICA, CA - 11/22/16 – Artist, writer and filmmaker Fauzia Minallah is the winner of The MY HERO Project’s Student/Mentor Award, which Minallah accepted at The MY HERO International Film Festival’s Award Ceremony Saturday in Santa Monica. Her film “Amai’s Paintings of Peace” is a tribute to the children of the Army Public School who were martyred by terrorists.

A political cartoonist, Minallah is a peace activist as well as known for her work for environmental awareness and protection. In 2001, Minallah founded the Funkor Child Art Centre, a non-profit organization in Islamabad to help advance literacy and children’s art in Pakistan. In 2003, she won the National Book Foundation Award for her work on ‘Sadako’s Prayer Project’, a book she wrote and illustrated, which won the 2007 Hiroshima Citizen’s Award.

Fauzia Minallah and MHIFF Director Wendy Milette stand before the "Let Them Bloom" peace mural

This is Minallah’s second MY HERO film festival award. In 2010, she won the Ron Kovic Peace Prize for her film “Let Them Bloom.” The film tells the story of a peace mural created by children living in an Islamabad squatter’s settlement. Their artwork became a compelling call for peace in a violent environment. 

For 12 years, The MY HERO International Film Festival has brought together filmmakers of all ages and levels of experience to honor the efforts of everyday heroes working to create social change. This weekend, hundreds turned out to honor the filmmakers and heroes whose stories were celebrated in short films.

Minallah accepted her award at The MY HERO International Film Festival's Awards Ceremony Saturday, November 19th, in Santa Monica. 

Fauzia Minallah at the 2016 MY HERO International Film Festival

Watch “Amai’s Paintings of Peace” and other winning films at: myhero.com/winners

The festival is part of The MY HERO Project, a 501(c)3 organization dedicated to sharing stories of heroes from all parts of the world. MY HERO's award winning web site (www.myhero.com) hosts the world's largest archive of hero themed stories, music, art and short films. 

To learn more about The MY HERO International Film Festival, visit myhero.com or email Wendy Milette at media@myheroproject.org.

Watch “Amai’s Paintings of Peace”

Learn About the Funkor Child Art Center