Morgan Freeman
criticizes
black history month

by The Associated Press

Dec. 16, 2005
NEW YORK (AP)
Morgan Freeman arrives to Clive Davis' 2005 Pre Grammy Awards Party at the Beverly Hills Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif. on Saturday Feb. 12, 2005. (AP Photo/Chris Polk) <P>
Morgan Freeman arrives to Clive Davis' 2005 Pre Grammy Awards Party at the Beverly Hills Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif. on Saturday Feb. 12, 2005. (AP Photo/Chris Polk)

Morgan Freeman says the concept of a month dedicated to black history is ``ridiculous.'' ``You're going to relegate my history to a month?'' the 68-year-old actor says in an interview on CBS' ``60 Minutes'' to air Sunday (7 p.m. EST). ``I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history.''

Black History Month has roots in historian Carter G. Woodson’s Negro History Week, which he designated in 1926 as the second week in February to mark the birthdays of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln.

Woodson said he hoped the week could one day be eliminated - when black history would become fundamental to American history.

Freeman notes there is no "white history month," and says the only way to get rid of racism is to "stop talking about it."

The actor says he believes the labels "black" and "white" are an obstacle to beating racism.

"I am going to stop calling you a white man and I’m going to ask you to stop calling me a black man," Freeman says.

Freeman received Oscar nominations for his roles in 1987’s "Street Smart," 1989’s "Driving Miss Daisy" and 1994’s "The Shawshank Redemption." He finally won earlier this year for "Million Dollar Baby."

Clark Baker: of "ex-Liberal in Hollywood" agrees with Freeman - (Baker is a retired LAPD officer (1980-2000) and Hollywood resident who discusses local, national, and global politics.)
We need more than a 'month': Clarence Page thanks Morgan, but, disagrees... - (Page is a Pulitzer Prize-winning syndicated columnist specializing in urban issues, and a Chicago Tribune columnist.)
Doreen Van Lee: Separate recognition for minority? - While a student at Southern Illinois University, Doreen wrote to the University newspaper, The Alestle, to address why minorities have certain days or months specifically set aside to recognize their efforts and contributions to our society.

When we celebrate black history month,
women's history month, Hispanic heritage month
-- to highlight the accomplishments of various groups of peoples --
are we instead fueling the age old practice of segregation,
and in the process creating a new form of discrimination?

Or are we are we encouraging an appreciation for diversity
and greatness in people from all walks of life?

Share your thoughts in the My Hero Forum by sending an email to
MY HERO [email protected].