George (Babe) Ruth

by Owen from Quakertown

"The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don't work together, the club won't be worth a dime."
Babe Ruth bows to the fans. (www.onesesonnation.com)

The qualities I look for in a hero are perseverance, respect, modesty, and trustworthiness. While Babe Ruth was crunching home runs and pitching heat he showed those traits with his ball clubs on and off the field. First he played for the Boston Red Sox and after that, he showed his skills with the New York Yankees where his number is retired (3) to this day. Babe Ruth was a man with great accomplishments on and off the field. Off the field, he taught kids that you could be a great person without ruining your life with drugs. On the field, he hit 712 home runs in his career.

Babe Ruth taught me a big lesson. Try hard but do not mess up your body with prescription drugs. I look up to Babe Ruth for his perseverance and bravery. He would not give up on his road to MLB and he made his goal. He would not only make it up there, he would be a great teammate. To prove it, his teammate, Werber said, "Ruth was convivial, friendly. Ruth would stop at the gates and sign autographs for an hour." Only a hero would do that.

Babe Ruth belches a homerun to right field (Sportsillustrated.cnn.com)

I think of Babe Ruth first as a warm-hearted man before a Baseball player, especially after hearing Werber's speech about Babe. I can just imagine how happy the kids were after they got his autograph. I would be!

Babe Ruth hits another one (Staneart.com)

In his career Babe Ruth hit 712 home runs in twenty-two years of Major League Baseball play with a .312 batting average. Not only that, he was a fantabulous pitcher. He pitched 29 1/3 scoreless innings in the World Series. Who does that? He hit 61 home runs in one season making the most single-season home run record, later broken by Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa now held by Barry Bonds.

What I admire most about Babe Ruth is his perseverance. In the beginning of his career he started off slow. Then he went into a game against the Atlanta Braves. He hit two home runs, knocking five runs on the scoreboard in a 9-5 win. That was the momentum builder. From there he went on to become one of the greatest ballplayers to this day and maybe the best known that is not alive.

Right now, and forever, Babe Ruth has the deepest respect of my heart.

The Official Site of Babe Ruth - Biography of Babe Ruth's Career
Baseball's History - Anything About Baseball Is Here
Site full of Babe Ruth - Babe Ruth Life To Death