Harriet Tubman

by Julie from London, Ontario

"I had reasoned this out of my mind, there was one of two things I had a right to , Liberty or Death; if I could have one, I would have the other."

My hero is Harriet Tubman. She is my hero because she helped slaves cross into free territory. Harriet Tubman was born in Dorchester Country, Maryland, in 1820. She had no education and didn’t know much about anything at all. Harriet did not have any hobbies because she would be picking cotton or she would be daydreaming about being free. The challenges that Harriet Tubman had to face were bringing slaves to free territory (Canada). She was sent to different plantations. She kept on getting sold by all sorts of people. She missed all of her friends and family. Harriet had to keep herself going when she was working because if she didn’t do the right things she would get whipped.

I think Harriet Tubman is a hero because she helped slaves come to free territory, she was very caring and selfless. She didn’t want other people to suffer like she did when she was a slave. She also helped more than 300 slaves come to free territory, but she almost got caught a few times bringing slaves to freedom.

That is why Harriet Tubman is my hero.