Jackie Chan

by Kenneth from Toronto

Jackie Chan was born in Hong Kong on April 7th, 1954. His Chinese name was given to him by his parents, Charles and Lee-lee Chan. They named him Chan Kong Sang which means "born in Hong Kong." When Jackie was born his mother required surgery to deliver him. Because Jackie's parents were very poor at that time, they had to borrow money from their friends to pay the doctor. 

Although Jackie's parents were poor, they had stable jobs working at the French embassy in Hong Kong. The Chan family together, lived on Victoria Peak in Hong Kong. When Jackie was a young child, his father would wake him early in the morning and simultaneously they would practice Kung Fu. Charles believed that learning Kung Fu would help build Jackie Chan's character, teaching him patience, strength, and courage. When Jackie was seven years old his father took a job as the head cook at the American embassy in Australia. This occupation forced Charles to leave his son. However, he felt that it would be the best for Jackie to stay behind in Hong Kong. As a result, Jackie studied at the China Drama Academy for the next 10 years of his life. This made Jackie's life miserable. 

During Jackie's time at China Drama Academy, he learned martial arts, acrobatics, singing, and acting. The school was meant to prepare boys for a life in the Peking Opera. Students at the school were severely disciplined and were beaten if they disobeyed or made mistakes. It was a very harsh and difficult life but Jackie had nowhere else to go, so he stayed. In addition to his hellish life, may you not forget that he had very little support from his parents since he rarely saw them.  

While at the China Drama Academy, Jackie made his first acting appearance at the young age of eight in a Cantonese movie called Seven Little Valiant Fighters: Big and Little Wong Tin Bar. As Jackie got older he worked as a stuntman in the Hong Kong film industry. When Jackie was 17, he graduated from the China Drama Academy. At the time when Jackie graduated Chinese opera was no longer popular, so Jackie and his classmates had to find other occupations. This was a very difficult task for them because at the school they were never taught how to read or write. The only work available to them was unskilled labour work. Every year, many movies were produced in Hong Kong, and strong stuntmen were something like a necessity. To prerequisite of being a stuntman for a movie was being strong, athletic and inventive. Jackie fulfilled those demands and became a great stuntman. He soon gained the reputation of being fearless, trying everything, with great curiosity. His curiosity and his positive attitude led him to his success. 

Over the next few years, Jackie was forced to move to Australia since the movie industry in Hong Kong was starting to falter. There, he lived with his parents, and throughout those years, Jackie agreed that those were the worst years of his life. Jackie was very unhappy with the poor living standards he had in Australia. He was a construction worker, helping to build a restaurant for near minimum wage. He did not get a chance to show other people his athleticism and determination for acting. Nevertheless he did not give up hope, and continued living his boring life. 

One day, a telegram was received by Jackie and it was sent to him by a man named Willie Chan. Willie Chan worked in the Hong Kong movie industry and was looking for a young and athletic actor to star in a new movie called New Fist of Fury. The movie was being produced and directed by a famous man named Lo Wei. Willie had scouted Jackie a few years ago when Jackie was working as a stuntman. Willie was impressed with Jackie's determination and work ethic. Although at that time Jackie Chan did not know it but Willie would end up becoming his future best friend and manager. Soon Jackie was on his way back to Hong Kong to star in New Fist of Fury in 1976.

Once Jackie got back to Hong Kong, Willie Chan took control over Jackie's career. To this day Jackie is quick to point out that he owes his success to Willie. However, the movies that Jackie made for Lo Wei were not very successful. The problem was that Jackie's talents were not being used properly. It was only when Jackie was able to contribute his own ideas that he became a star. He brought humor to martial arts movies; his first success was "Snake in Eagle's Shadow." This was followed by "Drunken Master" (another blockbuster) and Jackie's first ever directing job, "Fearless Hyena." All were big hits.

Soon after starring in his first movie, Jackie Chan soon evolved in to a popular movie star in Asia. Even though he was already popular in Asia, he wanted to be popular in America as well. It would take him a total of 10 long years before he starred in Rumble in the Bronx the movie that introduced Jackie to the American audiences. His bright future continued to shine as he starred in the Rush Hour series and the Shanghai Noon series. These movies helped put Jackie Chan on the Hollywood A List.

He spends most of his spare time working with children, the elderly, and those in need. He is a giving and generous celebrity who has come very far. He was born into a poor family, and had nothing to start with. Jackie encountered many obstacles during his career, but never gave up. Becoming the star he is today took a lot of effort and courage. Another quality he possessed was an excellent work ethic and passion for acting. Without these qualities, Jackie Chan would not have succeeded to becoming who he is today. This is why I regard him as my hero. Although all odds were against him when he was born, he never lost faith in himself and became who he is today, a famous and well know movie star. At the age of 57, Jackie Chan continues to make films in Hong Kong, including the new blockbuster drama, New Police Story.

On top of his superb acting skills Jackie also has a donation set up for talented but yet less fortunate young men and women. It is called the Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation. Jackie Chan has also won numerous ambassador awards, and nominations for Golden Globe, Green Globe Film Awards, etc. 

The MY HERO Gallery - For the Gallery Page dedicated to Jackie Chan, also by Kenneth.