Jim Brown

by Zachary from Phoenix

Jim Brown (http://www.filmbug.com/db/248446)

My definition of a hero is a person who has many positive character traits such as leadership, fairness, strength, fortitude, caring, and courage. A hero is very mostly well known. People look up to a hero and act like them.

My hero is Jim Brown. Jim Brown was born February 17, 1936 in St. Simon Island, Georgia. Jim Brown is an American icon and perhaps the greatest running back in football history." He is also actor and a civil rights activist. Jim earned thirteen letters in college playing football, baseball, basketball, lacrosse, and running track at the University of Syracuse. Initially, because of his race he did not receive a scholarship. However, a benefactor paid for Jim to attend to the university. Jim became an All-American in both football and lacrosse. Due to racism- he was the only black player on the squad and only allowed to play football in his senior year. He started playing for the Cleveland Browns in 1957. He immediately became recognized in the game because of his combination of speed and ability. He was a threat and could score a touchdown from any part of the field. He scared team's defenses by shaking off their mens' hardest hits.

While he was playing football for Syracuse and the NFL, since he was black, when he would go to stadiums in the South, people would boo him and throw things at him. Jim was brave enough to face the booing and the hate he felt from the crowd. He believed that even if people did not like him because of the color of his skin, playing the game and not letting his team down was more important. He is a hero for believing in himself and continuing to play football when everyone told him he did not deserve to play because he was black. Jim Brown continues to help people by giving his time to help a program in Los Angeles which helps kids in gangs.

Jim Brown inspired me to try to run with the ball in football. Jim Brown changed my life by showing me and others how tough a football player can be. I think he is the toughest and fastest running back of all time. Jim Brown is my favorite hero.