CALL FOR ENTRIES FOR RON KOVIC PEACE AWARD

CONTACT: Wendy Milette FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Director of Media
media@myheroproject.org
949-376-5964

CALL FOR ENTRIES  FOR THE MY HERO PROJECTíS 2016 KOVIC PEACE AWARD

LAGUNA BEACH, CA - 03/18/16 - The MY HERO International Film Festival is accepting submissions for the 2016 Ron Kovic Peace Award, an annual award that honors a short film that most effectively addresses the issue of peace. 

Ron Kovic is an accomplished author, artist and peace activist for the past 40 years. A former Marine Corps sergeant, Kovic served two tours of duty in the Vietnam War before being wounded in combat and paralyzed from the mid-chest down. His memoir Born on the Fourth of July became a national bestseller and was made into a feature films directed by Oliver Stone, with Tom Cruise portraying Kovic. 

After the war, Kovic became a prominent spokesperson for the anti-war movement. He addressed the Democratic National Convention in 1976, spoke before President Obama and other dignitaries at the 32nd annual Kennedy Center Honors Ceremony in 2009, and addressed Rome's Mayor Gianni Alemanno and other civic leaders as a member of Council for Dignity, Forgiveness, and Reconciliation in 2010. Kovic personally bestows the $1,000 cash prize at the MY HERO International Film Festival each year to support artists and peace activists whose work shows the power of non-violent solutions.

Early deadline for the Ron Kovic Peace Award is April 15, 2016.
CLICK HERE for information or to submit your film.

Submissions should be no longer than 10 minutes in length and appropriate for all ages. There are categories for filmmakers of all ages and abilities from elementary school student to professional. Entries may include Narrative, Documentary Music Video, Experimental and Animation genres as well as Excerpts, Indy Features in Development and PSAs.

This is the festival's 12th year of celebrating the world heroes through film. The MY HERO International Film Festival is part of The MY HERO Project, a 501(c)3 organization dedicated to sharing stories of heroes from all parts of the world. MY HERO's award winning web site (www.myhero.com) hosts the world's largest archive of hero themed stories, music, art and short films.

For more information about festival, or to submit a film, visit the MY HERO website or email Wendy at media@myheroproject.org.